NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tripod height

Hi all. Having fixed my broken tripod, I was wondering how to set the optimum height for observing. It seems that there is something of a compromise to achieve between having the eyepiece good for objects at the zenith and those near the horizon. Any tips before I spend ages reinventing the wheel? 

Edited by Richard N
typo

Well with my Newtonian I like to be able to stand up as straight as possible . The bigger problem is the position the ep can end up in resulting in awkward body contortions 

Edited by Jiggy 67

Equatorial mounts can cause the eyepiece and finder to end up in all sorts of awkward positions with a newtonian (and other scope designs as well). If you are observing only the alt-azimuth mounts help keep the eyepiece / finder conveniently positioned. This was a 6 inch maksutov-newtonian on an alt-azimuth mount that I owned a while back. I prefer to observe standing up:

orionmn61.jpg.6f4fb3bc528584cbe907967c29d75592.jpg

Edited by John

Get yourself these use the front of the mini trunking make a jubilee clip to fit put one each side of your tube rings. 

After balancing your scope by the way then you can loosen the tube rings and spin the OTA to a position to comfortably view through. 

So it looks like the picture of my 8" scope.

Screenshot_20210424-180858_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210424-180538_eBay.jpg

20160825_105526.jpg

Edited by wookie1965

As low as possible would be my 2p worth, less wobbles and vibration from a low tripod than an extended one, unfortunately there is always an element of bending over to the scope for visual observing (unless you have a fancy observing chair)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Well with my Newtonian I like to be able to stand up as straight as possible . The bigger problem is the position the ep can end up in resulting in awkward body contortions 

I may ask my wife if we can play Twister while the weather is poor to help improve my flexibility. Are there any recommended Astronomy-specific Yoga classes?

• Haha 3

The difference between horizon and zenith position obviously depends on the pivot point of the OTA.  That might be minimised if you can keep the OTA low in the rings and possibly balance it with a weight.  You might then be able to cover that distance with a chair with a good range of height adjustment. I got one of these recently and it's been superb with by frac and SCT. I can get further range by sitting upright to view near the horizon, or putting it further back for the zenith and leaning over. Both extremes are quite comfy even for my creaky back.

What I like about the swivel type of stool is that you can put it close to the scope and climb on board by cocking your leg over, if you'll excuse the phrase! It's easy to swivel around to get to my table with maps and eyepiece case etc - neither of which I could do easily with a fixed legged chair. (Apparently I'll also be set if I want to take up tattooing).

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074FW96C1

Edited by Starwatcher2001
  • Thanks 1