Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Combining two images with different focal length in Pixinsight

The purpose of this is when you have a wide field image that lacks the details of a larger scope therefore replacing an area with the more detailed image without seeing the border lines. I made this as simple as possible because I cannot find any tutorial for this kind of processing. Hope this helps you.

Edited by retret66
  • Like 2

Pixinsight developers disapprove of this and call it 'painting.'  I find this a ridiculous assertion and do what you're doing here in a mixture of Registar and Photoshop. It's an excellent technique. Power to your elbow.

Olly

• Like 2

Interesting technique (though I had a hard time discerning the menus and textboxes in my 14" screen of my laptop, I think that the big trick is setting the black point in order to eliminate the borders). What happens if there's  also some rotation between the different scope images? Does registration account for this as well?

N.F.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nfotis said:

Interesting technique (though I had a hard time discerning the menus and textboxes in my 14" screen of my laptop, I think that the big trick is setting the black point in order to eliminate the borders). What happens if there's  also some rotation between the different scope images? Does registration account for this as well?

N.F.

The rotation will not have any issue with registration, it will pick it up, the initial adjustment of shades of gray/exposure to match will play a big role in the black level adjustment, the less adjustment the better but I tried them all and I cannot find any noticeable on drop of quality. Apologies about the small menu, was recording it via a 6K screen and adjusted pixinsight core UI larger, maybe next time I will double it

Edited by retret66

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Pixinsight developers disapprove of this and call it 'painting.'  I find this a ridiculous assertion and do what you're doing here in a mixture of Registar and Photoshop. It's an excellent technique. Power to your elbow.

Olly

Sounds like a great validation of the technique to me then.😉