Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polar scope mount 3d printed for the Skywatcher AZ-GTI

sammak127

For experimenting with Az-GTI mount in EQ mode, I have designed a removable bracket that holds a Skywatcher HM5 polar scope, that allows polar alignment on this otherwise excellent little mount. 

Designed in Fusion 360 and printed on  Prusa Mk3s with an 8mm nozzle.

It has little nuts that the 3mm bolts go through allowing for collimation, basic but effective enough for my standards anyway.

Now awaiting some clear skies to try it out with a new Skywatcher steel legged tripod I bought to go with it.

8C5EFFDF-1A47-47CD-91FF-5BE626C5AB21.jpeg

E1414CA0-5A00-401C-B0B8-05E5CE8C4EF5.jpeg

78A590E1-2888-417E-8132-3B5FEE037489.jpeg

B2D45B1E-E5E7-430A-8697-C5B1FD789601.jpeg

D8D039FD-A8F2-414A-BBEA-F245EA79C0F9.jpeg

B25DBE6B-4283-4232-A296-2D39E86AC737.jpeg

9D671CC3-2706-4324-9393-37C9B6646AF9.jpeg

Edited by sammak127
Adding more detail
  • Like 6

Great idea, you could manufacture these. But think the polar scope bracket could affix to the wedge so it doesn't move during operation when imaging. That's just my personal preference though and may be wrong. 

Edited by AstroNebulee

Hi sammak127, I would be very interested in one of these if you consider producing more of them. I have both a redundant HEQ5 polarscope (as I use SharpCap) and an iOptron polarscope from a SkyTracker.

I prefer the polar scope bracket attaching to the mount itself as I use a different type of 'wedge' (a Manfrotto 410 geared head adapted to 2 axes). How does your bracket attach to the mount - does it slide on and grip?

Keen to hear how you get on with it.

56 minutes ago, prusling said:

Hi sammak127, I would be very interested in one of these if you consider producing more of them. I have both a redundant HEQ5 polarscope (as I use SharpCap) and an iOptron polarscope from a SkyTracker.

I prefer the polar scope bracket attaching to the mount itself as I use a different type of 'wedge' (a Manfrotto 410 geared head adapted to 2 axes). How does your bracket attach to the mount - does it slide on and grip?

Keen to hear how you get on with it.

Thanks for your input.

I’m afraid I’m not considering producing them at this stage, but happy to share the 3d print file if you have a printer!

It is specific to the Skywatcher HM5 Polar Alignment Scope for EQ5 (part 20117). So that might be a different diameter to yours. 

I think you’re right about attaching to the mount - makes sense as you use the rotation to properly calibrate the scope to the axis.

Basically yes it is designed to snap on and stay in place without needing to drill the case. I’ve seen more solid looking ideas out there and there is a tiny tiny bit of wobble, but for what it is it’s pretty solid.