Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

JUNE 29TH - WL, AR2835 AR2836 AR2837

paulastro

Good weather this morning, and good seeing at times.  AR2835s two spots are developing nicely whilst AR2836 has diminished in extent since yesterday.  New AR, AR2837, is visible near the E limb, a little further N than AR2835 and AR2386.

The single frame below was taken at 9.30 am along with a crop of the same frame.  Tecnosky 102ED F7, Olympus E-M5 Mk11, 1/400 sec at 250 asa.

1787197430_P6291651AR2835AR2836AR2387FullDisc.thumb.jpg.f832953e88e22ffed654f4deeb3d7a5d.jpg

27129568_P6291651AR2835AR2836AR2387.jpg.10154b159848f1c930865beca3cbd1c4.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 12

Nice. I only have clouds, clouds, and clouds here 😞 but good to see what is beyond them ...

I have a beginner's question , is there a convention for solar image orientation ? I'm pretty sure in the past I've seen on here both images which replicate my visual , frac + diagonal view, i.e right way up, E-W flipped, and also 'all correct' images .

Heather

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Nice. I only have clouds, clouds, and clouds here 😞 but good to see what is beyond them ...

I have a beginner's question , is there a convention for solar image orientation ? I'm pretty sure in the past I've seen on here both images which replicate my visual , frac + diagonal view, i.e right way up, E-W flipped, and also 'all correct' images .

Heather

Heather, the naked eye view of the sun has N at the top, S at the bottom, E to the left and W to the right. Of course if you use a diagonal it will be a mirror image, and in a Newt you have to flip the image upside-down.

I always post images as per the naked eye view, which is most usual.  Some people post images any way round, it makes it confusing if images are not the NE view, unless the orientation is stated.

• Thanks 1

Thank you,

I record the sunspots I see with a very simple pencil sketch, which is as seen at the eyepiece of my refractor or mak  (so E/W reversed) , I'm after simplicity there, but routinely note the image orientation along with the date and time. I've seen photos which match my sketches, and 'proper way round' views too, and my liking for order and complete information made me a bit disappointed that there was no note of the orientation. I'd like to assume an image with no such note was always simply the 'correct' view, but evidently it isn't ! With so few sunspots at the moment it's not really causing me much confusion, but who knows what the future may bring 🙂

At least I don't use my heritage dob for solar, the open front and non-circular outer shape wouldn't be good, so it's not as confusing an orientation problem as I have when switching from dob to mak and getting lost on the Moon ...

Heather

26 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Thank you,

I record the sunspots I see with a very simple pencil sketch, which is as seen at the eyepiece of my refractor or mak  (so E/W reversed) , I'm after simplicity there, but routinely note the image orientation along with the date and time. I've seen photos which match my sketches, and 'proper way round' views too, and my liking for order and complete information made me a bit disappointed that there was no note of the orientation. I'd like to assume an image with no such note was always simply the 'correct' view, but evidently it isn't ! With so few sunspots at the moment it's not really causing me much confusion, but who knows what the future may bring 🙂

At least I don't use my heritage dob for solar, the open front and non-circular outer shape wouldn't be good, so it's not as confusing an orientation problem as I have when switching from dob to mak and getting lost on the Moon ...

Heather

Heather. Sky and Telescope magazine publishes two laminated maps of the Moon.  One that is the naked eye view    (the moon NE view is different to the sun, N and S are the same as the sun but W and E are reversed)    and a mirror image version the same as your mak with a diagonal.  They are both great for telescope use and fold very easily to how you want them.  If I can find a Web link I'll post it here.

45 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Thank you,

Heather

Here are the two maps, couldn't see any in stock though.

20210629_145835.thumb.jpg.dcf14a682dfb40240f139b2234fca45b.jpg

9 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Heather. Sky and Telescope magazine publishes two laminated maps of the Moon.  One that is the naked eye view    (the moon NE view is different to the sun, N and S are the same as the sun but W and E are reversed)    and a mirror image version the same as your mak with a diagonal.  They are both great for telescope use and fold very easily to how you want them.  If I can find a Web link I'll post it here.

Thank you for that, I do have printed maps, in dob and 'true' orientation, but gave up on them as I generally use the mak when looking at the Moon, I now use Virtual Moon Atlas on a windows tablet computer, it removes all (well, most ) of my Lunar confusion because I can set it to whichever orientation I need to match the 'scope, also it shows the terminator as it is at the date/time, a great help ! I also find the photographic view easier to reconcile with what  I see than a map illustration, a year of observing at every opportunity, and I'm still very much a beginner !

Still, I do really like a nice paper map, so if I can track down a mirror image version of the field map, I may just buy one 🙂

Heather

• Like 1