Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CMOS - Short subs under a Full Moon

mightymonoped

Thought it would be interesting to try out a little experiment to see what could be captured under typical Full Moon conditions in my current environment. Having only approximately 100 minutes to capture this particular target before it effectively disappeared under my balcony roof, and having recently watched a lecture on key factors in capturing effectively with CMOS cameras, I decided to try as many short subs as possible in the given 'window'.

In this case, I managed to get 100 x 60s subs (96 of which were good enough to use). The Moon was visible, albeit in the opposite sky and the capture was done using an Optolong L-pro filter overlooking my flat's already light-polluted car-park.

I tried processing the data a number of ways (including stripping the stars and arcsineH stretching) but decided to go with plain and simple stretch, gradientXterminator and a bit of star reduction and cleanup.

Have to say, I was quite impressed with the results given the horrendous conditions. Looking forward to doing this on a clear night with a full view of the skyline.

Elephant's Trunk Nebula (cropped to exclude the Garnet Star which had a problematic halo).

WO Redcat 51 using an ASI294mc pro with Optolong L-pro filter on a StarAdventurer tracker

96 x 60s subs & calibration

Astro Pixel Processor and Photoshop CC

ETRC-no-garnet.jpg

• Like 8