Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using binoculars with strabismus

Sabalias

Hi All,

I started stargazing in the 1990s with a pair of good binoculars before switching to telescopes, then I took a break, and now I'm getting back into telescopes again. I still have the binos but, as I have aged, I have developed a strabismus (sqint) and find I have significant difficulty resolving a single image through them. Anyone else experienced something similar or perhaps a diffierent physical impairment that they have had to overcome to pursue their hobby? I don't mean to pry, it's just interesting to see how people may have adapted - if they are happy to share.

Stu

• Like 1

Ive actually gone back to binoculars for all my observing, nothing to do with a visual impairment, but I am very tall and suffer from chronic back pain and any kind of telescope work causes me real problems now. So all my observing is with binoculars in a comfortable recliner and the best part about using a recliner is you can easily get away with using 80mm bins handheld... Perfect..

• Like 1

Iโ€™ve been unable to use binoculars for many years now for that very reason Stuย which is a shame in many ways but Iโ€™ve switched to using a monocular instead. Not quite the same immersive visual effect but at least I still get some nice wide field views. Naturally Iโ€™ve no problem using a scope :)ย 

In my case Iโ€™m locked in increasingly fraught discussions with opticians about whether to get prism lenses on my glasses prescription but that probably wonโ€™t help with binosโ€ฆ

James

• Like 1

10 hours ago, James said:

Iโ€™ve been unable to use binoculars for many years now for that very reason Stuย which is a shame in many ways but Iโ€™ve switched to using a monocular instead. Not quite the same immersive visual effect but at least I still get some nice wide field views. Naturally Iโ€™ve no problem using a scope :)ย 

In my case Iโ€™m locked in increasingly fraught discussions with opticians about whether to get prism lenses on my glasses prescription but that probably wonโ€™t help with binosโ€ฆ

James

You're right James, it is a shame. As you say though, there are ways around it - I really enjoy using my Newt and my spotting scope (which I suspect is similar to using a monocular).

Stu

On 26/06/2021 at 10:48, mark81 said:

Ive actually gone back to binoculars for all my observing, nothing to do with a visual impairment, but I am very tall and suffer from chronic back pain and any kind of telescope work causes me real problems now. So all my observing is with binoculars in a comfortable recliner and the best part about using a recliner is you can easily get away with using 80mm bins handheld... Perfect..

Hi Mark,

Good to hear that you have a viable workaround.

Stu

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the binos issue. It is though not unusual to struggle without the squint.
I find two things help.

Usually I use varifocal specs. Swapping out for contact lenses is a big help.
Varifocal lenses are always full of compromises and can easily introduce what might be thought to be binocular issues.
Could this be clouding (OK I'll get my coat) the issue?

The second is time of day, or more specifically being tired.
It can be difficult, after a long day, to hold images from both eyes in correct alignment.
Looking at a few bright dots (stars) rather than a well lit view makes the problem worse.

I have seen both the effect described above. Maybe one or both of these is contributing to the problem?

HTH, David.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

Sorry to hear about the binos issue. It is though not unusual to struggle without the squint.
I find two things help.

Usually I use varifocal specs. Swapping out for contact lenses is a big help.
Varifocal lenses are always full of compromises and can easily introduce what might be thought to be binocular issues.
Could this be clouding (OK I'll get my coat) the issue?

The second is time of day, or more specifically being tired.
It can be difficult, after a long day, to hold images from both eyes in correct alignment.
Looking at a few bright dots (stars) rather than a well lit view makes the problem worse.

I have seen both the effect described above. Maybe one or both of these is contributing to the problem?

HTH, David.

Thanks David,

Interesting points but, sadly, they don't apply to my situation as I don't wear glasses (and I've tried at various different times of day). The problem I have is that a muscle in my right eye has grown a bit weaker over the years; this means that my eyes don't move together (it's almost imperceptible but when I look right I start to get double vision). This issue is magnified (excuse the pun) when I use binoculars, to the extent that I get the double vision when I look straight ahead. As an aside, I have to sit on the right side of a theater or cinema too (when not in lockdown of course!).

Stu

Ref James discussion about prism.

I once had prism added to specs, 20+ years ago, because the optician deemed it necessary.
The new specs were 'not quite right' but I couldn't nail it down.
Then one night while swapping between new specs, old specs and Mk1 eyeball unaided I had the EUREKA moment.
Without specs, ๐ŸŒ™๐ŸŒ™ the two moons merged into one over a few seconds.
No it wasn't the 2nd bottle of wine๐Ÿฅ‚!
My old (non prism) specs had been poorly aligned for a long time and my eyes had pulled to compensate.
A visit to the opticians, followed by a re-glaze and I got comfortable lenses. Only seeing a 2nd moon after lots of alcohol๐Ÿป

HTH, David.