NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fixed primary collimation

Hi Folks, Having watched a film about collimation caps recently, I thought I'd check the collimation on my starquest 130p I've taken a pic through the cap hoping that you can advise on what you can see, the primary clamps appear to be where they should , hopefully indicating that the secondary mirror is aligned ok, but the rest of the image seems to show the primary needs collimating, how do you collimate a fixed mirror, thanks in advance of any advice given.

IMG_20210622_165105.jpg

Don't touch the primary (big rear) mirror. Loosen off slightly the three collimation screws on the front of the secondary (small) mirror and in turn, tighten each of them a touch until the central dot on the primary mirror is in the centre of the ring you can see. It's that easy.

IMG_20200922_144724436.thumb.jpg.89ada1bb679e2847b5994b439e48844d.jpg

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

you can use this mask overlay on your image to verify "Mir De Collimation"

Collimation03 (2).exe 376.5 kB · 0 downloads

I wouldn't worry about that too much. As it's only the secondary that can be adjusted - it's limited to what can be done. Just look to get the dot (eye hole) inside the doughnut marker on the primary.