NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky Watcher 200P

Yes it's perfectly possible. Did the exact same thing with my 200p dob ota. You just need the 235mm tube rings and a dovetail bar.

I'd recommend a losmandy dovetail as it's a hefty scope, though you may need to upgrade the saddle on the skytee to take a losmandy dovetail. 

• Thanks 1

If you are going to put it on the Skytee II then do ensure that the mount dovetail clamps are upgraded from stock. The stock ones are not very robust !

If you are going to use a Losmandy dovetail plate (which does seem sensible) you will need to upgrade one clamp on the mount to take that anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a word of caution.

Above suggested solution with tube rings works - I've used it like that on HEQ5 mount for imaging, but if you want to keep "dual purpose" for that scope - it will be a bit more difficult.

"Ears" that are used on dob mount will get in the way. When you want to mount this scope in Alt Az - you want eyepiece to be in same position as on dob mount - which means that "Ears" will be pointed towards dovetail bar and will in fact cause trouble with rings and dovetail bar.

Here is image with dovetail bar mounted "underneath" the OTA:

image.png.f18b28c0424320ceadcfe92ac736f2ed.png

In this configuration - I wasn't able to rotate OTA - dob mount ears would hit dovetail bar and that would prevent OTA from rotating. You want dovetail bar to be mounted on a side of scope.

Only simple solution to this is to remove ears completely - they can be unscrewed from OTA, however, I suspect that it will be PITA to put them back on each time as you swap mounts.

Maybe dovetail bar can be screwed in one of the ears? Maybe that would make things easier for swapping between mounts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As much as I liked my Dobsonian it was a pain trying to track anything, so I bought a set of 235mm Tube Rings, after removing the Dob from the cradle I fitted the tube rings, didn't take long to realise after pointed out by Vliav one of the cradle pads would have to go as it caught on the clamp.

Simple task to remove and put somewhere safe.

The Dob now sits nicely on my Skytee 2 mount with excellent fine adjustment and a better height for viewing, I had a spare Clamp from my Altair Sabre which fitted the Skytee perfectly and a Vixen bar so the whole deal only cost me £60, Thanks FLO.

I'm  chuffed with that, thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

mounted.thumb.jpg.1ddeec0d62cedecffd20d3de0e757dc1.jpg

• Like 4