NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Noctilucent clouds this evening

I looked out of the bedroom window late this evening, just to check conditions (as is my habit), and was surprised to see a vivid noctilucent cloud display!

Having grabbed some gear and rushed out, unfortunately it took a while to find a suitable vantage point - as I'm in a valley. However I did manage to grab a few pics before the clouds faded.

This is slightly cropped 10-sec exposure at f/5.6 and ISO 400. Canon EOS 5DMkIII and 100mm lens.

Regards, Mike.

5O9A7262.JPG

• Like 14

Thanks, Pete and Paul. Yes, it was lucky that I looked out when I did and that the sky was clear (of low cloud at least :) ) - it's been mostly cloudy since. 

This was only the 4th noctilucent cloud display I've seen - the first was back in 1988, and the last was during one Comet NEOWISE imaging session in July 2020. Friday night's display was definitely the best of the 4.

Regards, Mike.

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, mcrowle said:

Thanks, Pete and Paul. Yes, it was lucky that I looked out when I did and that the sky was clear (of low cloud at least :) ) - it's been mostly cloudy since. 

This was only the 4th noctilucent cloud display I've seen - the first was back in 1988, and the last was during one Comet NEOWISE imaging session in July 2020. Friday night's display was definitely the best of the 4.

Regards, Mike.

Always worth looking out, isn’t it?! The NLC alongside NEOWISE was one of the most memorable nights of my life. I just wish I’d been a bit more competent at photography when it was around.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

.... The NLC alongside NEOWISE was one of the most memorable nights of my life. ....

That was a fantastic display wasn't it ?

I'm not much of a photographer but managed to get something of it. With Neowise hanging in the sky it was a truly memorable sight.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John said:

That was a fantastic display wasn't it ?

I'm not much of a photographer but managed to get something of it. With Neowise hanging in the sky it was a truly memorable sight.

Felt like I was the luckiest guy on earth witnessing it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Always worth looking out, isn’t it?! The NLC alongside NEOWISE was one of the most memorable nights of my life. I just wish I’d been a bit more competent at photography when it was around.

Yes, certainly always worth checking the sky!

For me the display below NEOWISE was only visible though a low point in the valley side, but fortunately Friday's display extended higher in the sky.

Regards, Mike.