Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron mount not coping with the weight?

I have learnt very quickly now that the stock mount that came with my Celestron Starsense explorer 6” sct is fine until I start adding bits to the back end.  I was starting to think that something was wrong but no. It is fine in stock mode but anything else weighty it struggles in the ‘alt up ‘ department.  Had trouble again today with the eclipse using the celestron nexyz which pushes 300g plus my iphone 12pro. This is too much and I have issues using the controls to raise it. Everything else ok. Slews down fine and left and right.  Is here anything I can do to remedy this so it will cope with extra weight? I think I know the answer but always good to ask. 

Edit - perhaps I should add, I had a similar issue when adding a 2” xlt diagonal with Baader zoom.  

Edited by Starslayer

4 minutes ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

I was going to suggest moving the OTA further forward to balance the tube, but if being back heavy was the problem I'd have thought slewing downwards would be the problem.

Good idea though. Will play with the tube. Maybe my terminology was misleading. The issue was tilting the front down and the back end up. 🙃