Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Center Parcs, Penrith

Pixies

Has anyone been to the Whinfell Forest site? It appears to be reasonably dark according to the light pollution map.

We'll only be there for a few nights and I'll probably only have room for the little ST80, but as we will be visiting when the last quarter moon is going to be late rising, it looks a suitable place to have a shot.

But I know how much of a rabbit-warren these places are, and forested too. So a quick question. Is anyone here familiar with the site and can you recommend a suitable location there to set up a scope?

Cheers

Pixies.

I live about 7 miles away from there. You will get glow from the park & the A66 runs right past plus Penrith is only 5 miles away. My village is set back further into the Pennines, theres no street lights & almost zero traffic as the road into the village goes nowhere. If you wanted to use the village green PM me.

I've been a few times.  Lots of tall trees - so definitely no option of setting up beside your lodge.  May be worth a look down by the lakeside and the "street" lighting is fairly limited.  Depends how dark you are looking for.  I think you can come and go out of the village overnight but it could be a long walk to the car park each way depending on your location in the village.  And although it's a fair bit further south than me in Glasgow, your hours of darkness will be fairly limited if you are going soon.

Thanks everyone.

I'm not expecting super dark and neither am I planning anything too serious. We are only there for a few nights and me vanishing off for an all-nighter won't go down well. Just wondering if there was somewhere suitable on-site, away from the trees - even if only facing in one direction.

It's mid-August, so should be a little darker.