Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crescent Nebula APP vs DSS

vineyard

Hello,

I caught 1h50 of acceptable data on NGC6888 last week (foolishly on one night I didn't notice the EKOS setting for images was 8bit so that was a night's data gone).

Anyway, clearly that's not a lot of data at all, but I ran it through both DSS (the first image below, best 90% of lights) & APP (second image, 100% of lights).  ABE & HT applied in PI on both & that's it.

60s lights w Evoguide50 as the imaging scope (w flattener), ASI294MCPro, Baader uhc filter, guided & mounted on an HEQ5Pro.

The difference between APP & DSS is palpable.  I've v much enjoyed using DSS as an entry into AP staying, but I think I'll be switching to APP.

(As far as the image itself is concerned, clearly a LOT more data needed (& perhaps w sharper autofocus than just a Bahtinov mask focus locked in!) before even beginning to do more processing - this was just to see the difference b/w the stacking software).

Cheers all.

Crescent Nebula_1h50_DSS.jpg

Crescent Nebula_1h50_APP.jpg

• Like 5

Wow, that's quite the difference between APP and DSS - I might have to check out APP :)

I happened to also aim for that little thing two nights ago - just trying to get to grips with a new setup.

These are 40 grainy minutes of 7nm HOO on an 130/6.6 triplet APO and ASI294MM. Stacked in DSS.

Ha was a bit out of focus as well, just to leave even more room for improvement as does my back focus
on the field flattener and optical alignment.

NGC6888-HOO.thumb.jpg.6b4258609a48f0e60af57c83d6b431b3.jpg

Edited by Daniel Karl
  • Like 1