NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Look at the Sun 01/06/21

Been waiting to have some free time to try this for a while now.

Using the shadow method (someone mentioned it on here) finding the sun was easy, easier than I thought, and I got it at every attempt. No need for a solar finder scope. 

Just one small area of sunspots but better than nothing. It looked far more obvious in the eyepiece than in the photos I took. I tried to goto 200x which is about as far as this little telescope will go but seeing wasn’t great anyway. There were also some high thin clouds. Could be much improved but the exercise was the important thing. I took my time and made sure it was safe. And the sun was strong today as I soon got far too warm.

iPhone 12, standard camera app, images cropped and rotated, some basic on phone editing in Photoshop Fix . 

Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145p, EQ1, Economy Drive, BAADER AstroSolar Filter, StarGuider 5mm, 2x Barlow, no-brand-name cheap phone mount.

D9A3DA23-4DDE-46BB-ABD6-21C575FE4931.jpeg

729CC240-43F6-440F-913E-B932FFA48BE4.jpeg

26CBE9C1-6DC1-48A8-8BF1-9C6E9A8FE4D5.jpeg

Edited by PeterStudz
Photo update
  • Like 5