Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tips for May 30th

SuburbanMak

6 minutes ago, SuburbanMak said:

OK Lunar-led, any tips for what should be good to look at tonight? 

Can’t think of anything particularly notable, but plenty here to look out for.

AB068C2C-FE95-4EA0-9321-A51C96BD56D5.png

6AF4BDDA-5EA2-44F0-B800-3EF90717AFC1.png

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Can’t think of anything particularly notable, but plenty here to look out for.

AB068C2C-FE95-4EA0-9321-A51C96BD56D5.png

6AF4BDDA-5EA2-44F0-B800-3EF90717AFC1.png

That’s a superb resource - thanks @Stu

I fine there’s so much to look at on the moon that I often end up drinking it all in & not looking for specific features. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, just I want to start observing & learning about the topography in a slightly more structured way. This will be tremendously helpful - hopefully CO is accurate and we’re in for a good night! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SuburbanMak said:

That’s a superb resource - thanks @Stu

I fine there’s so much to look at on the moon that I often end up drinking it all in & not looking for specific features. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, just I want to start observing & learning about the topography in a slightly more structured way. This will be tremendously helpful - hopefully CO is accurate and we’re in for a good night! 

I think it’s great. I often just work my way down the terminator identifying craters from the map, makes observing more meaningful and productive.

The App is called Moon Phase Photo Maps on iOS, or the same maps are also available here:

http://www.derekscope.co.uk/the-moon/

• Thanks 1

Rupes and Rima Cauchy, located atm just under the terminator. Rupes (ridge) is easily detected with 5"; the finer Rima (rille) N of it is more subtle.  Nice to see the difference of these geolocical formations. Happy hunting!

Stephan

1 hour ago, Nyctimene said:

Rupes and Rima Cauchy, located atm just under the terminator. Rupes (ridge) is easily detected with 5"; the finer Rima (rille) N of it is more subtle.  Nice to see the difference of these geolocical formations. Happy hunting!

Stephan

Thank you - I have put the Mak out to cool & will definitely have a look for these. 

29 minutes ago, SuburbanMak said:

Thank you - I have put the Mak out to cool & will definitely have a look for these. 

Hope you are ready for a late one; the Moon doesn’t rise until after 1am tonight!