NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 5907 - The Splinter Galaxy

Rodd

Another in my unguided short sub category with C11Edge and ASI 1600. Binned 2x2 in software.  This image was a bear to process as the data was collected during a bright Moon.  RGB in moonlight is no fun.  I thought the short subs would compensate, but not really.  Seeing was very good for a change.  My green stack had a FWHM value of 1.5, The blue 1.85 and the red 2.4.  I used green and blue as a luminance.  The method is fun, but you really need a huge amount of storage space for all the subs, calibrated subs, SFS chosen subs, registered subs...x3 (for each channel).  Without the Moon at a darker sight, I think this data set would have produced a great image.  

C11Edge F10, 2800mm

ASI 1600 

Red: 462 20 sec

Green: 409 20 sec

Blue: 400 20 sec

Synthetic lum made with Green and Blue (862 20 sec)

Finalc.thumb.jpg.2e3b6ebdf59f348156efe30b90e6fad4.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 19

6 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Looks really good Rod. I wouldn't want to know what your hard drive storage space looks like after all this data 😁

Thanks Souls (sorry I forgot your name--it has been a while)  My storage is shredded.  

Edited by Rodd

1 minute ago, Swoop1 said:

Very nice image Rod.

Where do you get you patience and determination from? Does your local Astro shop sell it by the pound?

Matt

Thank Matt.  Its a curse.  I see these amazing images on various forums and for some reason feel the need to achieve that level of success.  I always crash and burn.  I am pleased with this image for what it is, though.  twice the data would really clean it up, and if I collected that with no Moon it would be even better.  And if I moved to Chile, I would be all set!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ahhh! I just noticed the light patch of background at right.  This galaxy has a huge, convoluted, intertwined ring like tail, but this time it.  The tail is very faint.  Mine is just poor processing.  The Moon be darned....I guess its the screen.  Not so bad  (still visible if you try to find it thoufgh)

Edited by Rodd