Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StarTech.com 4-Port USB 2.0 Extender - 165ft (50m) USB Over Cat5/Cat6 Extender : advice please

Hi,

Thinking of buying one of these as my Powered USB Hub and Active USB cables set up seem a little unreliable.  I think a few SGL people use these but I was wondering how everyone powers the Remote Unit at the Mount end.  It’s not easy for me to get 240v AC to the Mount for the AC adaptor that comes with the Star Tech kit.  Does anyone have this set up and power it using a DC supply such as a power bank and if so what connector does the Remote unit accept?

Thanks

Andrew

I have the startech powered hub and active usb cable, both powered at the remote end. So far I can't fault the startech stuff. I was just wondering how you are currently powering your active usb cables? If you are not using a power supply for them, that may be your challenge with reliability. 

I currently have the hub and active usb in an enclosure powered from a long Lewden plug and socket arrangement. You could get a local sparky to make you something similar. HTH

Hi,

thanks for your reply

I have a 10 ah powerbank supplying the USB 3 hub. It is possible for me to get 240v AC to the scope as I have an external socket about 10m away from the scope but I was hoping to just having one cable trailing across the patio I.e the USBs or Cat5/6 cables.  If I can power the Star Tech hub at the Mount through  DC supply that would be ideal.

cheers

andrew

On my Startech 4 port USB2 to Cat5 extender bought about 5 years or so ago the remote unit uses a 4.8mm x 1.7mm DC plug like this, rather then the more common 5.5 x 2.1mm plug. It's stated as requiring 5V at 3A. If your powerbank has a 5V output with sufficient current, as well as 12V that would be ideal or else a DC-DC buck converter from the 12V to 5V would do.

Edit: Mine is this version and now very expensive 😲 and goes to 330ft, though Startech also do this 165 ft one, which is probably what you referred to, which is a more similar price to what I paid I think, and looks like it may have the more common 5.5 x 2.1mm DC connector.

Alan

Edited by symmetal

This photo may be helpful.

Any way you can supply a 5v DC supply at the mount end will solve the issue.

(This can be generated from any existing 12v supply , or from a battery)

Supply needs to be centre positive.

Image1b.jpg

I use one of these to remote to my ROR observatory and have found it to be very reliable.

Edited by fifeskies