NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Last Nights Moon 19/05/21

Moon from last night. This was taken with a Skywatcher Skyliner 200p that I’m restoring. It came without a base (there’s something in the DIY section). Wanted to test the base as it’s just usable before I finish it off and the moon was an easy target. There’s an issue with the primary mirror and it was only roughly collimated. StarGuider 12mm eyepiece using a handheld iPhone 12 with standard camera app. Single shot with some basic editing and cropping.

I’ve been busy and have a few other pictures to post. Maybe tomorrow.

3EA5CCD0-13F1-40F4-9A52-D6A02C549121.jpeg

• Like 11

I just cannot get handheld photos through the eyepiece at all that aren't a mess. I've tried a few times and given up in sheer frustration. I've done a lot better with cameras mounted to the scope. 

Thanks guys. @Soligor Rob I’ve had dew related issues too. One initially had me stumped - I checked all eyepieces and mirrors and couldn’t see anything, but still the fuzzy pictures remained. Then, as I was packing up and had a light on, I discover that my phone camera lens was covered in dew. It spent a lot of time face down, camera up, on a side table!

@reezeh I prefer to use a mount when I can, but here I hadn’t intended to take any pictures and this was a quick test/experiment. However, I find some eyepieces easier than others, there’s certainly a bit of luck often requiring several attempts. And I’ve found that using “burst mode” (hold the shutter down & multiple pictures are taken in quick succession) can help. I’ll go through the burst mode finding the one that’s worked or is best.

• Like 1