Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Borg scopes

Has anyone experience with the newish Borg 72mm ? 

I’m after a very short scope for trips abroad (mostly visual but a little dslr imaging on holiday)

So short focal length but also light and easy to pack. 

A bit pricey but great optics and quality focuser. 

I have also considered the tak 60mm but the extra light gathering and lighter scope probably make the Borg a better option ?

Ken 

• Like 2

I’ve only owned a Borg 125 but seen a few others, not recently. I never though much of the Borg mechanicals although optics were excellent. I sold on the 125 pretty quickly 

This one can’t easily be beaten for airline trips: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-fc-76-series-refractor-telescopes/takahashi-fc-76dcu-f75-doublet-fluorite-apo-refractor.html

• Like 1

I own a Borg 89ED and quite happy with it..now that I've changed the focuser. 

I'm using it for visual grab and go and also for imaging, and I think optically is good.

The one you mention is fluorite, so probably will be better. 

I really like the way it can be taken appart in few pieces for better transport.

BUT ,  the draw tube kind of system, even though it makes it easierto make it compact

and portable, is horrible.. and not very reliable.  I think the 72FL doesn't have this,

and probably goes with a good rack and pinion or crayford focuser.  

Also is very light weight! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I never though much of the Borg mechanicals although optics were excellent. I sold on the 125 pretty quickly 

I would agree with the above statement from my experience of a Borg 76mm achromat with the 80mm draw tube system at least when compared to the Tak FS60 I own. The Tak is more robust but also heavier. The Borg draw tube I found sagging a little with 2” eyepieces , one of the two screws holding the draw tube in place lost its threads . In the tube itself I discovered Jupiter had rings around it one night. The tube had one plastic baffle at the rear which had come loose and rotated to cut across the inside of the tube, this was pulled out  to fix the problem.

All of the above though is over a 20year period and I still like my flat back telescope for camping.

Though the Tak has been camping as well, also easy to pack.

Though the model you are looking at does not seem to have the draw tube, has a better focuser? than the Tak  and I assume the fluorite lens like the Taks is also made by Canon-Optron?

Does the Borg tube have an attachment for a finder scope if needed?

Good luck with you choice

John

• Like 2

Unless it's been improved recently, I wouldn't bother with the Tak FS60 for imaging. Data I processed from two of these had very poor control of blue stars. Visually they are nice for the aperture, though.

Olly

• Like 1