Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light pollution filters

I have been looking into these as when im home and not as uni i live in east london, Speaks for its self!!! So lighting isnt great.

I am confused as to what the difference is between a normal LP filter andBaader Neodymium Filter, which is best?

ive posted 3 threads today, i feel like such a newbie :(

ive posted 3 threads today, i feel like such a newbie :(

Only 3? You wait 'till you get into it properly, you'll have more questions than answers!

LP filters can be subjective things. Personally, I only use them for imaging as IMO they cut too much of the 'good' light out for observing and you lose detail whilst others swear by them. I'd wait until you get your scope, get the essential accassories (like a Red light torch for example) and see how you go before looking at filters like these.

FWIW, I did a comparison review of the Baader Neodynium, the Astronomik CLS and the Hutch IDAS LP filters and felt that visually, the Baader was the least 'harsh' of the three.

BTW where abouts are you from in East London?

Tony..

Romford? and if you have heard of it then do not get a stereotype of an essex girl in your head!!!! its s hard to escape :) but living in southampton atm and studying in portsmouth, im all over the place!!! :(

Thanks for the feedback. might just settle for a moon filter for now then go on from there. Maybe a x3 barlow lens?

Romford is Essex, not East London! Know it well, had a few good nights out there :( . I'm thinking you could drive out a few miles and you'd certainly have a darker sky. If it's possible, definately worth thiking about.

Tony..

I've used a 1.25" Astronomic CLS in my ST80 and a 2" Skywatcher LP filter on the C80ED. They work really well for imaging, the colour cast is easily corrected with white balance adjustments. I've never used either for visual work.

Archived