NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Intervalometer

I recently picked up a Neewer intervaolmeter for my Canon 90d and whilst it appears to work fine, I have an odd problem when setting the interval to anything below four seconds...the shutter opens but never closes until the intervalometer has counted down all the shots. Anything above four seconds and it appears to behave normally.

Im a bit confused! Am I doing something wrong or is there a minimum interval time I cannot go below? I have tried all different combinations of exposure length and interval time and the only consistent problem is with an interval shorter than four seconds.

I did initially think that, but surely you would expect the shutter to close after the first shot still? I could understand subsequent shots then being missed but for the shutter to not close after the first shot seems odd to me. I am using a Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card and you can see the camera has finished writing to the card after about a second. 

8 minutes ago, twobleak said:

I did initially think that, but surely you would expect the shutter to close after the first shot still? I could understand subsequent shots then being missed but for the shutter to not close after the first shot seems odd to me. I am using a Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card and you can see the camera has finished writing to the card after about a second. 

Not sure why this is unless you have the in camera long exposure noise reduction turned on or are using mirror lock up in combination with the intervalometer and adding in the self timer function.

Alan

LENR is off, drive mode is single shot - no self timer.

For example, this works fine:

10 second exposure, 4 second interval, 3 shots in total

This doesn't:

10 second exposure, 3 second interval, 3 shots in total (shutter opens at the start of shot one, but does not close again until the intervalometer has finished counting down).

I have no idea why that might be. Camera setting or intervalometer problem? I seem to have ruled out most things but I'm lost now.

6 minutes ago, twobleak said:

LENR is off, drive mode is single shot - no self timer.

For example, this works fine:

10 second exposure, 4 second interval, 3 shots in total

This doesn't:

10 second exposure, 3 second interval, 3 shots in total (shutter opens at the start of shot one, but does not close again until the intervalometer has finished counting down).

I have no idea why that might be. Camera setting or intervalometer problem? I seem to have ruled out most things but I'm lost now.

Do you have the camera exposure time set to match the intervalometer exposure time?

8 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

Do you have the camera exposure time set to match the intervalometer exposure time?

Camera is in bulb mode, so I'm only using the intervalometer to control the exposure time.