Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Long dovetail for Skywatcher 72ED

Hi All,

I have ordered a Skywatcher 72ED with field flattener which will arrive in the next few days.

I have heard that for astrophotography that a longer dovetail is recommended for this telescope to make it more stable.

As such,  can someone advise me on whether a 21cm or 33.5cm Skywatcher dovetail would be the best fit for this rig?

Hope someone can help.

All the best,

Dougie

• Like 1

I have a 21cm skywatcher dovetail fitted on my evostar 72ed ds pro and when I have my field flattener and dslr on the end I have about an inch of dovetail left and balances fine for me, so it's much better than the short one which isn't a lot of good but can still balance upto a point but so so close to the edge of the dovetail and a bit iffy in my opinion. 

IMG_20210514_190623.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8" works well on my ED80, even with DSLR, flattener and filters

But maybe the 12" is more versatile assuming it clears your focuser and lens hood.                                                                           

PIXX7978.JPG

• Thanks 1