NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Connecting focuser to OTA

Hi,

I ordered an Omegon 8inch Dob from Astroshop but the std focuser is out of stock. So I had to order an Omegon 2 inch Crawford hybrid dual Speed focuser. I was also advised  to buy an adapter to connect this focuser to the OTA. I think the OTA is GSO which is resold as Omegon. 

Now the problem is the holes are 73x70mm apart but the adapter I got is 80x83mm.
I am not very keen to drill and make new holes unless it is the absolute last option. 

Is there any other option available or any third party adapters that can solve my problem? 

Have you spoken to Astroshop about the problem? I think that as they advised you to buy the adaptor it should have been the correct one.  Looking on their website I think the adaptor they advised you to get is for attaching the Omegon focuser to skywatcher tubes, so they shouldn't have advised you to purchase it for your Omegon tube, unless they expected you to drill new holes? 

If they can't help and you really don't want to drill holes then the only other thing I can think of is to get a custom adaptor 3D printed.

Update: I spoke with Astroshop but there is no easy solution. They do not have an adapter plate that can take the 80mm diameter focuser and fit it into 70x73mm hole distances on the OTA. Their option is to drill, either self or send it back to them to be drilled. I am not, naturally, too enthusiastic about sending it back for drilling. I am equally unenthusiastic to drill myself, though a simple procedure, due to the risk of scratching the secondary or leave debris damage the primary. 

After much thought, I decided to downgrade the focuser to a more std. dual speed, 1:10 Crawford focuser from TS which can take payload upto 2.5Kilograms. This focuser comes without a base, but the diameter description matches the 78mm diameter on the original connector on my Omegon OTA. I am waiting for delivery and will add in a note if there are fitting-problems. 

My main aim this year is visual only and I do not plan to load my DSLR on the focuser. My EPs should not exceed the weight threshold. But will share if focus-creep becomes a problem. TS description promises that the locking mechanism prevents this, so I am hopeful though. 

Thank you for your advice and sharing your knowledge & wisdom, as always.  

Best regards