NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

OK, one more dumb question before I go ahead

If I get the celestron 80mmED what do I need to mount it to a camera tripod? (I don't have a camera tripod!) I am looking for something light that folds down fairly small so I can get take it all away at weekends. Will it just fit striaght on or do I need anything to adapt it? Your advice is appreciated, thanks

The one from FLO, sold as the OTA, comes with a clamshell which has a dovetail as part of it. The clamshell also has a standard tripod fit thread cut in it. I have a redsnapper TRI-283 tripod with the 3 way head, it's rated for 6.5 Kg, the scope weighs 2Kg, and is very sturdy for the money. It's not too bad when folded up, but isn't too light although it comes with a good bag with a comfy strap.

I have no connection with redsnapper apart from being a happy customer.

Telescopehouse.com do the Horizon tripod for £78.29. This one will adjust up to near 6' high so will give you plenty of slack for height adjusrment. Its agood tripod and scope combination for birding. BUT if you plan to use it for astronomy that scope you have is maybe better on a proper mount as on a photo tripod it's an accident waiting to happen if you wave it around a lot in the dark.

A proper mount is much more solid and will give much steadier seeing and tracking of objects like starts planets and the moon. That clamshell on your scope fits a tripod or (say) an eq3-2 mount and one of them will cost £160 from FLO. The eq3-2 will, of course take other scopes as well as it will take an vixen type dovetail. :(

Archived