NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guiding

I expect you're used to having Mail, Spotify, Word etc, all running at the same time on your PC/laptop ?

With astro it's the same.

You will have SharpCap, PHD2,  maybe a Planetarium etc, all happily running at the same time.

Michael

As others have mentioned, it all runs on the one computer.  Depending on the operating system, you run the software to control the mount, software to navigate around the sky, such as CdC, your imaging software such as APT or sharpcap, and PHD2 for guiding all from the one device.

Or you run One Program to Rule Them All, he snarked KStarishly. (That's the package  I  use and am always banging on about, it has its own guiding module but can also work with PHD.)

As teoria notes, it's helpful if the software you're using to run the camera either includes its own guiding software or can talk to PHD2. There's a technique called dithering which moves the scope a few pixels' worth between exposures, so that the same bit of sky isn't always walloping on the same pixel -- very helpful for reducing certain kinds of pattern noise. Obviously you want that to happen between exposures, not during them!

Any laptop sold today has ample processing power to run acquisition software and guiding at once. In fact many of us do exactly that on a Raspberry Pi.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies. I am now reassured. I must admit it was not the processing power I was worrying about, but conflict on the usb with two cameras. But when I sit down and think about it, the imaging camera is only passing an image down the line every few minutes.