Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ioptron AZ Mount Pro

I have read a old thread about Ioptron and its foibles but that was from 2015, So what do people think about these mounts now as I am thinking of changing my kit probably next year this looks like a more portable setup for me.

Thank you as always everyone.

Paul

There's a couple of threads from 2019 on here and Cloudy Nights. The Jury seems to hung. Some like them, some don't. A common concern seems to be the mounts don't suit longer 120mm + refractors but OK with shorter and/or lighter scopes.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/334333-ioptron-az-pro-mount/

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/680276-ioptron-az-mount-pro-buyers-beware/

These mounts have been on my radar for a while also, but the comments and user reviews have put me off a bit, so keeping things relatively light weight, cheap and keeping goto, the next mount is likely the Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-8. Don't you already have a HEQ5? If lugging the weight around is the main problem due to the back problems, getting the AZ mount probably won't help so much, it's just under 6kg without counter weights.

If it is health issues, maybe bite the bullet, sell both your scopes and mount? Pick up an 80mm f7 ED scope and AZGTI. About as light as it gets while having goto and tracking...

For example a Starwave 80ED f7 FPL-51 doublet , AZGTI, ADM saddle upgrade, steel tripod, extension tube, battery and cable would set you back about £900... Just a thought..

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

Peter,

No I have the EQ5 on a EQ6 Tripod with adapter if I can get in any shape to go out anywhere dark site wise I have a battery box but this is not light. 

I am just thinking of a more portable mount I would keep my Tal 100rs and sell the 127mm if it is possible I would get a 6" reflector to go on it best of both worlds. 

Trying to think of stand alone mount not too heavy minimum set up and ease of use. 

Paul 

Edited by wookie1965

To be brutally honest mate, reading what's happened to you, you're probably (at least a bit) knackered for life and to stay in the hobby will need an ultra light & quick to set up rig.

I'm more than happy to come over with my gear to see how you get on with it. The 102mm is just about OK on the AZGTI but I'm cautious about continuing too far into the future with the combination, hence having an eye on the ES EQ.

I suggested that particular 80mm refractor because compared to a 102mm f7, it's much lighter at 2.8kg and shorter at 540mm so won't strain the mount at all. Plus when you get well enough to start getting out again, that setup I suggested would be very easy to haul around.

However, if you're determined to keep the Tal, would you not consider a manual az mount? You will need extended length slo mo cables to avoid stooping too much.

• Like 1

Thanks Peter, 

I know I'm not in a good place at the moment seen surgeon he wants new MRI he has said an op is a last resort he is going down the lines of the epidural I should of had 18months ago with anti inflammatorys then physio therapy from their therepists who deal with this all the time. (Walton Neurological Centre). 

So I am being optimistic I cannot star hop to save my life my first scope was on a EQ3-2 after a few months I was going to give it all up that's why I got the EQ5. 

Takes me 40 minutes set up well it did carrying everything outside polar aligned and lift the scope and weights on plus two flight cases one with eyepieces one with dew strips polar scope right angled adapter, polar scope Illuminator plus two power packs if I am running off 240v if not got deep cycle marine battery box which is heavy on a trolly but still got to pull it. 

My thinking was a case with mount my eyepiece case on a trolley with tripod and pier extension of the Ioptron just my scope then two trips and everything is done. 

I could really do with looking at lighter setups in action as you said. 

Nick suggested a Skywatcher Skymax 127mm AZ goto. 

So that's another option but then again it's power supply. 

Paul 

Let me know if you want a (fully vaccinated 👍) outdoor visitor and I'll bring my stuff down. No probs.

Skymax 127s are nice scopes mate. The same light grasp as your Meade. You just lose out on fov but much easier to carry. Power isn't an issue. Those AZ GoTo mounts run off the same Talentcell battery I have. It's only slightly bigger than a standard mobile phone power bank.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TalentCell-Rechargeable-6000mAh-12000mAh-Lithium/dp/B0713T4XT9/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=TalentCell&qid=1620058832&sr=8-1

54 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Let me know if you want a (fully vaccinated 👍) outdoor visitor and I'll bring my stuff down. No probs.

Skymax 127s are nice scopes mate. The same light grasp as your Meade. You just lose out on fov but much easier to carry. Power isn't an issue. Those AZ GoTo mounts run off the same Talentcell battery I have. It's only slightly bigger than a standard mobile phone power bank.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TalentCell-Rechargeable-6000mAh-12000mAh-Lithium/dp/B0713T4XT9/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=TalentCell&qid=1620058832&sr=8-1

Peter when I can move around a bit more I would really like to take you up on the offer as a fully vaccinated person also we should be very safe cheers. 

Best wishes 

Paul 

• Like 1