NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finally I found m13

After a few nights of searching I managed to locate m13. That is when I realised that I need to move to the middle of nowhere.  In my se8 it was barely discernable, so I quickly realised that any dso above 6mag are not accessible to me where I live. 

I have very light polluted skies but on a good night and transparency I can see M13 through a pair of 10 x 42 binoculars,  I have had amazing views of M13 through my 4" and 5" scopes most of the time its bad seeing and transparency. Much better when the moon is out the way M92 is another in Hercules that is a nice cluster not as big as M13 but easily spotted. Last week I had to use a Oiii filter on M57 to get it normally I can see it without any filters.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oscar_camilleri said:

After a few nights of searching I managed to locate m13.

Well done! Its not easy to see the 4 stars of the keystone in light polluted skies. At this time of the year (late spring/early summer) the best views of M13 will be after midnight, when it's properly astro-dark and M13 is high in the sky.

PS. Just realised that se8 is not your  postcode but your telescope :)  In an 8 inch you should be able to get very good views of globular clusters even with light pollution. Make sure it is properly collimated and the object is high in the sky, the higher the better. It makes a huge difference how many stars you can see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nik271 said:

PS. Just realised that se8 is not your  postcode but your telescope :)  In an 8 inch you should be able to get very good views of globular clusters even with light pollution. Make sure it is properly collimated and the object is high in the sky, the higher the better. It makes a huge difference how many stars you can see.

postcode is HA5 , i've just about given up on observing any galaxies or nebulae from my area.  sky is a dull grey from all the light pollution over here, you can literally see the sky glow at night as if someone is projecting a movie on it 

2 hours ago, oscar_camilleri said:

postcode is HA5 , i've just about given up on observing any galaxies or nebulae from my area.  sky is a dull grey from all the light pollution over here, you can literally see the sky glow at night as if someone is projecting a movie on it 

Do what I do go for double and multiple stars and bright clusters/nebulas wait until you go to a dark site to see galaxies and more DSO`s. Double stars really have changed my viewing habits and I can get out there observing.

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 3

Well done on finding M13.

You clearly live with challenging skies, so you will have to choose your targets more carefully than some more fortunate observers. But there should still be a lot to look for. Check out some resources that take the difficulty into account, e.g.

https://tonyflanders.wordpress.com/urban-and-suburban-stargazing/
https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/111-deep-sky-wonders-for-light-polluted-skies/
https://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/urban/urban.html

And don't under-estimate the value of experience to the effectiveness of your observing. Once you have seen how certain types of object look in your telescope, from your skies, you will find that you will be able to see more difficult ones that would have passed you by, even if you were looking right at them. If you have a range of eyepieces giving different magnifications, then make sure to try them out whenever you find a target, and make a note of what works best; it's surprising how often that makes a difference. A decent nebula filter (UHC or OIII) can also make the difference between seeing an object or not.

• Like 3