NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mag 5.4 star about to be occulted by the Moon - 9.38pm 22nd April 2021

Stu

2 hours ago, John said:

Thank you Stu :thumbright:

And there it was, gone ! :smiley:

Good one wasn’t it? I picked it up as it re-emerged just before 10:53. Amazing how quickly it moved away from the Moon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good one wasn’t it? I picked it up as it re-emerged just before 10:53. Amazing how quickly it moved away from the Moon.

I missed the re-appearance - I'd got distracted by some other targets :icon_rolleyes:

These events that demonstrate the mechanics of the solar system at work are fascinating to watch though :smiley:

• Like 1

First Lunar occultation I’ve seen, very cool! It simply vanished. Having people nearby all witnessing it at the same time and hearing several simultaneous “ah”s and “wow”s around was quite special!

Thanks to @Stu for organizing an impromptu (distanced) WAG session.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, John said:

I missed the re-appearance - I'd got distracted by some other targets :icon_rolleyes:

I very nearly did too John. @PeterW prompted me to check via a WhatsApp message and it was happening a few minutes later. I checked where it was going to appear on SkySafari so had it in the field of view as it appeared. Hard to see just as it appeared but obvious as soon as it separated a little.

• Like 1