Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light shroud around skywatcher heritage 150p

I saw various suggestions when I was deciding on what to use for my heritage 150, including card , card with a layer of sticky plastic film ( fablon is one trade name),  foam, and sheets of proplex ( a corrugated plastic builders use to protect floors , similar craft material used to be available as 'corriflute' or 'corriflex' , but the builders stuff is cheaper) . I didn't like the idea of card, or plastic covered card, in damp winter conditions, and the corrugated plastic does not fall into a smooth curve

I had some left over bits of a cheap , pale blue 5mm closed cell foam camping mat handy. so for my first rough light shroud,  I used that, but held on outside by elastic, and removed when the tube was slid shut. It is a lot more convenient to have a shroud which fits inside the tube, so stays on permanently. So I bought some 3mm thick closed cell foam , I don't know if they would sell outside the UK, (and I've not checked) , and I'm sure you will be able to find a local supplier,  but it might be useful for you to see the details of what I bought : https://www.efoam.co.uk/closed-cell-polyethylene-foam.php

The 3mm foam is stiff enough to keep to the correct shape, even if the conditions are windy, is reasonably opaque , will not absorb moisture , and slides neatly inside the tube . Below I link to a helpful video, if you use the search on here you will find plenty more specific heritage 150 information :

Edited by Tiny Clanger
de-mangling my English a bit

Proplex with sticky velcro pads makes an ideal dew shield too. 

2.4m. X 1.2m for less than a fiver from Wickes. Enough for n+1 scopes (the right number of scopes).

Lighter than closed cell foam too. 

Edited by Gfamily

1 hour ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I saw various suggestions when I was deciding on what to use for my heritage 150, including people who used card , card with a layer of sticky plastic film ( fablon is one trade name),  foam, and sheets of proplex ( a corrugated plastic builders use to protect floors , similar craft material used to be available as 'corriflute' or 'corriflex' , but the builders stuff is cheaper) . I didn't like the idea of card, or plastic covered card, in the damp winter conditions, and the corrugated plastic does not fall into a smooth curve

I had some left over bits of a cheap , pale blue 5mm closed cell foam camping mat handy.and for my first rough light shroud, so I used that, but held on outside by elastic, and removed when the tube was slid shut. It is a lot more convenient to have a shroud which fits inside the tube, so stays on permanently. So I bought some 3mm thick closed cell foam , I don't know they would sell outside the UK, (and I've not checked) , and I'm sure you will be able to find a local supplier,  but it might be useful for you to see the details of what I bought : https://www.efoam.co.uk/closed-cell-polyethylene-foam.php

It is stiff enough to keep to the correct shape, even if the conditions are windy, is reasonably opaque , will not absorb moisture , and slides neatly inside the tube . Below I link to a helpful a good video, if you use the search on here you will find plenty more specific heritage 150 information :

Thank you for the information!

• Like 1