Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tele Vue diagonals & eyepiece

SAW

Hi,

Is the Tele Vue Everbrite diagonal worth the extra £'s over the Enhanced Aluminium version ?

Also when using a Quark would a 40mm Plössl be ok for full disc views using a Tele Vue 85 or would the 32mm be better ? or should I be looking at a different eyepiece ?

Thanks.

I've used the Quark with the Tele Vue 85 and 40mm Plossl and unfortunately you cannot get full disc - Daystar says you'd need a scope with a focal length of about 450mm or less. I get a very comfortable full disc with the Quark, 40mm or 32mm Plossl, and Tele Vue 60 (360mm focal length).

I would pick the Tele Vue 32mm Plossl over the 40mm every time for the Quark, the reason being they show the same field of view (the 40mm is 43° whereas the 32mm is 50°). Also, the eye relief on the 40mm is very long (28mm) and you might need to use an eyeguard extender or even two to find it more comfortable to use. The eye relief for the 32mm is 22mm.

It depends on you but I like using two eyeguard extenders with the 40mm and one with the 32mm. You might be fine without an eyeguard extender on the 32mm. I find it okay without one but prefer it with one.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good advice from Luke. I also sometimes use my TV85 with a Quark and TV Plossls - and need two eye guard extenders for a really comfortable view with the 40mm and 32mm EPs. I also use a GSO reducer on the eyepieces sometimes to get a wider (and sharper) view if the seeing is not great. With a longer F/L frac (740mm) I use the reducer all the time.

• Like 2