Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NINA HEQ5 Connection Issues

im completely stuck. Im using a heq5 with the eqdirect cable and eqmod but it just keeps disconnecting when i connect to nina. its connected for a minute or so can control it and everything then it just disconnects. I have been using APT as a alternative but really wanna use nina as it seems more down my street. Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Sounds like a faulty connection somewhere. Does it disconnect at exactly the same amount of time or does it vary? For example, if you connected and moved nothing, does it stay connected? Also, if not other kit is connected does it work OK? I have used NINA with the EQDIR cable on and HEQ5 and AZ-EQ6 and both have been fine. The only time I have had problems like this is either a dodgy connection or something else overriding the connection through the USB hub.

To eliminate the hardware, connect the mount directly to the PC via the EQDIR cable (ie  no hub).  Launch the EQASCOM Toolbox and connect to the mount.  Un-park the mount and let it track for an hour or so.  If it doesn't disconnect and come up with an error then repeat this with the hub between the PC and EQDIR cable.  If that too runs for over an hour (I'm guessing the disconnection you are reporting happens after some minutes ?) then again, this would suggest the issue is software related.

To highlight NINA as the issue, disconnect the connection via toolbox and close the toolbox application.  Launch an alternative planetarium application such as CuC, and connect to the mount through that... again if this remains connected then the issue would point to NINA rather than ASCOM platform, or EQMOD.  

If you google "NINA keeps dropping connection" there are lots of posts (mainly on cloudy nights) where people had this and not just with SW scopes - NINA has the ability to log data, and that may be an indication of what went / is going wrong.  It may not be an issue with NINA, but it could be a problem with compatibility with the ASCOM platform and NINA, and or the OS drivers.  Which version of ASCOM and EQMOD are you running?

Are you sure you have the correct version of NINA for your PC's architecture, there is a x64 version and an x86 version. If using the x64 version ascom drivers also need to be x64. Maybe try the x86 version of NINA if you can't get the x64 ascom drivers for your mount.

Also check your PC matches or exceeds the required spec 

• dual-core x64 CPU
  • 2GB of RAM
  • Windows 8 (64 bit) or later, however Windows 10 is highly recommended
  • 250MB of free disk space without the optional SkyAtlas image data (1.5GB with)
  • .NET Framework 4.7.2 Runtime (included with Windows 10 April 2018 Update (build 1803) and later)

So I have tried connecting the scope through sgp and to my shock it disconnects simarly to NINA i think it could be the cable potential. My laptop is up to the spec so i have ordered anotehr cable to try out if that isnt the issue its either my heq5 port or software.

A physical connection issue could be the cause, it only needs the TX or RX wire to be intermittent and the movement of the mount can cause the drop out, but it's not normally an issue, at least not at the mount end.  Did you try the suggestions I offered above ?

One other possible cause is the USB cable to the hub- if its long, 5m or over then it could be that the voltage is dropping out.  An Active cable is recommended for 5m or more to ensure decent voltage levels over the distance.  It could also be the ports on your laptop.  If you have the ability to try a different PC / Laptop it might help rule that out.  Another thing to try is GS Server in place of EQMOD.  https://sites.google.com/view/greenswamp/  

If (and I doubt this very much) it turns out to be the motor board on the HEQ5 that develops a fault then don't panic, I've reprogrammed upwards of a dozen PICs and repaired half a dozen boards for forum members. - But I don't think this is the problem as normally the chips are 100% non responsive  rather than intermittent (mainly as people inadvertently shove 12v up the communications port !!)  

sory for the lack in response been busy as hell. So I tried the GS server and it does stay connected however it is not tracking the stars corrently and im getting trails. I got a new cable and it still is doing the same thing so the cable is elimiated. I have tried it without the hub and no luck either. I tried it through the handset using pc direct and didnt even manage to connect it but i did notice that my handset was abit iffy saying no dec ra response and had to unplugg it and plug it in again over and over until it connected properly.

"No response both axis" means that the handset can't talk to the microcontrollers on the motor controller.  This often happens if an incorrectly wired "EQDIRECT" cable is used and 12v get shoved up the TX/RX lines !! - But if its been working before then it could simply be the contacts on the RJ connector not making contact with the one on the HEQ5. 

Do you get the message every time the handset is plugged in ? 

I would suggest you take  look at the socket on the HEQ5 to see if any of the pins have been pushed up.  You may be able to carefully pull he small wires down a little so that a better contact is made when the connector is plugged in.

If  you are getting the same message over and over again, and EQMOD or GS Server now reports com port errors and the mount is in warranty then it may be worth contacting the retailer and see if they are agreeable to taking the mount (or just the boards) back for replacement under warranty.  If the message is reported every time you plug it into the mount and mount is second-hand or out of warranty then all is not lost.  I've reprogrammed a few PIC microcontrollers and repaired a few motor board for other members. 

If the mount is out of warranty and you want me to take a look drop me a PM and we can sort out a repair.