Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Proto Star

Epick Crom

I just had an amazing session observing the proto star R Monocerotis imbedded within the Hubble Variable Nebula ( NGC 2261) located in Monoceros. It cannot be seen directly, but there are tantalising hints of it through my 10 inch dob. NGC 2261 is an incredibly fascinating object. This leads me to my question, what proto stars have you ever observed and which is your favourite? Clear skies!

• Like 2

I bet NGC2261 looked great with your 10". Without knowing, I think that's my first proto star as well a few weeks ago when I was observing it. I do not think I saw the star but where the 'tail' narrows to a pinpoint it was a brighter diffuse spot relative to the rest. I only had my telescope for 4 months and I have not come across others.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kon said:

I bet NGC2261 looked great with your 10". Without knowing, I think that's my first proto star as well a few weeks ago when I was observing it. I do not think I saw the star but where the 'tail' narrows to a pinpoint it was a brighter diffuse spot relative to the rest. I only had my telescope for 4 months and I have not come across others.

Hi Kon, thanks for the reply. Yes R Monocerotis cannot be seen directly but there is a point like source of light at the thin end on NGC 2261 as you said. Amazing! I'm now 7 months of owning a telescope, so we are in a similar boat. I'm now facinated with protostars, must search Google for more! Clear skies mate 

• Like 1