Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher EQ5 Dual Axis Motor Drive

Dougie Smart

Hi All, 

I have installed a Skywatcher EQ5 Dual Axis Motor Drive onto my Vixen EQ mount, and wonder if anyone knows the size of the round DC connector that goes into the controller from the powerpack? 

I was hoping to buy a lead which connects to the controller DC inlet to a USB connection as it seems a bit wasteful using 4 x D batteries. I think using rechargable D batteries may wear out the battery pack over time and is a hassle putting them in and out. With a USB connection, I can just plug the controller directly into a rechargeable power pack that I have already. 

Hope someone can help. 

Cheers

IMO the USB port will not be able to provide the current required to drive the mount, and will be a volt less that that needed.  Ideally you need a 6v 3Amp power supply with a 2.1mm tip positive plug to power the mount.  You might get away with using the powerpack - trial and error, but if the slewing stalls or tracking is slow then you may have to stick with using D cells or adapt a 6V motorcycle battery

• Like 1

The SW 6V drives will happily run off the 5.2V from a mobile phone battery bank, each axis will draw a maximum of 400mA but would advise a bank with  2.1A outputs...worth remembering a set of rechargeable D cells will only supply 4.8V.

Alan

53 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The SW 6V drives will happily run off the 5.2V from a mobile phone battery bank, each axis will draw a maximum of 400mA but would advise a bank with  2.1A outputs...worth remembering a set of rechargeable D cells will only supply 4.8V.

Alan

Sorry, I was confusing the current draw of the steppers  as measured in an goto system.  D cells are 1.5v, so will provide 6v.  The 4.8v would be the voltage or 4 x rechargeable (NiCad / NiMH) as each cell maxes out at 1.2v  - If running them at 1.2v below the suggested voltage has no effect on the tracking then that's fine