Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice using Celestron Firstscope Moon

I hope this is in the right place.

Hi folks I need some help advice please, I have a Travel Scope 70mm Celestron and also a Firstscope Celestron Moon.  I have the T2 ring and adapter for my Sony cameras, but was wondering would my Sony A7C be to heavy to go on the Firstscope.

13 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Hi

I would personally be very cautious as the mount may not hold the telescope and camera position and they both end up swinging down and hitting the table, that's an expensive camera.

Thank you, I use to use the Fuji X cameras but sold them all to go Sony full frame so own the A7 III / A7 RIV / A9 / A7C / Fuji X100V and a A6400 Sony.

I'd pick the camera that is lightest and least worried about and I think if thinking of using the telescope as a lens then I think I would start with your travel scope as that without the diagonal but with an extension tube would I think reach focus. I'm not sure the first scope would reach focus I think you might run out of inward focus travel though a mirrorless camera would have more chance.

Though you might have more success holding a mobile phone over the eyepiece to image the Moon.

Both telescope tripods I'd be very very cautious with for holding the telescope and camera as if the hold slips it can happen very fast and not be pretty. 

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I'd pick the camera that is lightest and least worried about and I think if thinking of using the telescope as a lens then I think I would start with your travel scope as that without the diagonal but with an extension tube would I think reach focus. I'm not sure the first scope would reach focus I think you might run out of inward focus travel though a mirrorless camera would have more chance.

Though you might have more success holding a mobile phone over the eyepiece to image the Moon.

Both telescope tripods I'd be very very cautious with for holding the telescope and camera as if the hold slips it can happen very fast and not be pretty. 

Thank you very much, think I will try it on the Travel scope then.  Thanks again.

If you have a decent photo tripod I think the travel scope has a standard camera thread on it, and a ball head can be used with the ball dropped into the groove the ball head tensions can be set so a telescope can be moved as if it where on a dobsonian mount.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

If you have a decent photo tripod I think the travel scope has a standard camera thread on it, and a ball head can be used with the ball dropped into the groove the ball head tensions can be set so a telescope can be moved as if it where on a dobsonian mount.

I use my ST80 (for observing, not photography) on a sturdy photo tripod in a similar way , I like pan/tilt heads, so have the head flipped over  as if using a camera to take a portrait oriented photo, and to get enough altitude angle, that also involves mounting the telescope 'backwards' , pan tilt head controls on the side away from the user.  The horizontal movement is left free to rotate, and I reach forward to loosen or tighten the altitude control as needed. With a wide field instrument like the 400mm ST80 the movement is precise enough.

This works really well for me , but rather than just using the tripod socket on the 'scope, I have one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/baader-vixen-style-dovetail-clamp.html

which has a standard  photo tripod socket below, and grips the dovetail rail of the telescope very securely. It allows you to slide the telescope back & forth a bit to get the balance right. 

Heather

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I do have a tripod that is solid as use to use it with my Canon 70D and Sigma 150-600mm at full zoom.

20 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I use my ST80 (for observing, not photography) on a sturdy photo tripod in a similar way , I like pan/tilt heads, so have the head flipped over  as if using a camera to take a portrait oriented photo, and to get enough altitude angle, that also involves mounting the telescope 'backwards' , pan tilt head controls on the side away from the user.  The horizontal movement is left free to rotate, and I reach forward to loosen or tighten the altitude control as needed. With a wide field instrument like the 400mm ST80 the movement is precise enough.

This works really well for me , but rather than just using the tripod socket on the 'scope, I have one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/baader-vixen-style-dovetail-clamp.html

which has a standard  photo tripod socket below, and grips the dovetail rail of the telescope very securely. It allows you to slide the telescope back & forth a bit to get the balance right. 

Heather

Thank you.