Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galaxy season

Cosmic Geoff

It's April and it seems this is known as the galaxy season.  In previous years I have taken my C8 down to darkest Devon for a view of some galaxies.  However in 2020 I was ill and there were COVID travel restrictions.  This year, still COVID travel restrictions.  However all is not lost - with a sensitive planetary camera attached to my 102mm Startravel I can battle the urban light pollution, with results that are almost comparable with using a C8 at a dark skies site. 

I imaged a number of galaxies from my backyard on 4th and 5th April, with a typical result shown below - M61 and, it appears, one or two fainter galaxies.  Equipment: 102mm f5 achro refractor, ASI224MC, SLT mount on wood tripod.  Typical exposure 5 secs live stacked to 100 secs total. The field of view is about 0.5 degree (similar to 25mm EP in a C8). This image may not look like much, but is a lot better than I can see visually from here.

ProcM61_16bits_20frames_105s.jpg

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 4

Nice image and some structure starting to show in the main galaxy. I am starting on the EEVA route myself and am amazed by what can be picked up in such short exposure times. As you say, better than can be seen visually.

Geoff

It might be worth exploring the sub time used. Greatest noise reduction occurs up to about 7 seconds so I try to use 7 seconds as my minimum time (it does depend on the scope being used and the object I am observing). Also I try to use a minimum of 20 but 30 is better in the stack to improve the picture quality. Beyond 30 there is still improvement to be had but less so.

Have fun,

Mike