NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 200 PDS

Can any one help, i have been offered a second hand Skywatcher 200 PDS with the EQ5 Pro mount. I'm not sure how old this scope is as it does not have the branding 200 PDS on the tube that i see on all new ones on line also it doesn't have the new green dove tail bar and other little bits. I've been asked to make an offer for this but not sure where to start, i have tried it all set up and all seems well just need to try observing next. It doesn't come with any packaging and has the 28mm ep. Any thoughts what it might be valued at.

Thanks,

Lee.

measure the tube length if its 1000mm its a 200p if 200pds its smaller ,if it has a focuser with wheels on focuser lile spindld wheels its a 200p if it has fine tuner its 200pds 

like in linkhttps://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-crayford-1252-inch-focuser-for-skywatcher-explorer.html

£240 for both depending on condition

Edited by bottletopburly

I think the green came in around 2017.

Current price for a 200p (not pds) on an EQ5 Pro goto is around £1050 I think, but the owner of this scope/mount wouldn't have paid that (prices have gone up considerably recently). 

Wayback machine shows the 200p on the EQ5 Pro goto at £729 in April 2016. 

I think it very much depends on what you intend to do with it.
One question I would ask myself is if this were not a mate would I be buying one at all ?

So if you are buying it just because it is a mate that is offering it then if you really did not want one then at any price it is really not a bargain.

My understanding is the PDS is intended really for imaging not visual (not saying is can't be used for visual but I think you may need extra spacers to achieve focus as opposed to the P model) and for imaging I would think the EQ5 mount is not ideal for a big scope like the 200PDS although not impossible.

So all I am saying is that if it i actually a 200PDS and is an EQ5 then I would think the setup is not ideal for visual or imaging.
If it is a 200PDS then in my opinion it should be on a HEQ5 not EQ5 (Ideally) and would be good for imaging and if in good condition worth £750 to £850 I would think.
If it is a 200P then for visual it is fine on a EQ5 and worth about £350 to £450 again in my opinion.
If it is a 200P on a EQ5 goto pro then again great for visual and worth about £550 to £650 again in my opinion.
If a 200PDS on EQ5 as stated then as above  - for visual maybe I would pay £300, for imaging I would only pay £250 and that really for the OTA as I would want to use a better mount.

The above is only my opinion and not necessarily from a friend but knowing the items are in good condition.

Buying from a friend raises other complications, if they were not in dire need of cash then personally I would expect mates rates and a bit of discount but if I thought they were selling as they need the cash then would probably offer a bit over the odds.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 2

Thanks for that, i have another scope and set up which i use for imaging only. But i am interested in this scope just for visual use only, that i miss after i sold on my C8 some time ago. I know its not a financial decision for him very much more space and i think when he did get this scope it was a bad idea and he says he has used it twice maybe. So with all that said i think i will pitch in a £300 as i will need a few bits to make my life easier such as a mains power, collimation tool, bag to store the scope in and i would like the mirrors cleaned which i know all adds up. Wish me luck and thanks for all the help.  

• Like 1