Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQSTARPRO mini review

powerlord

Hi chaps,
I ordered an EQStar Pro from ebay a week or so ago. I hummed and hawed what with the manufacturer in Ukraine, but I needn't have worried - it all turned up safe and sound.

At an all in price of £240 it's a steal compared to the £600+ of a sky-watcher job. AND that doesn't include WiFi out the box!

It's servo based, and full synscan compatible. St4, build in WiFi.

I fitted it to my Eq5 in about 10 minutes - removing my enhanced motor kit and fitting this instead.

Straight away I can move it around with the joystick buttons.

Mobile connected to WiFi no probs, and synscan Pro connected.

I can fling the thing around at super fast speeds so goto is gonna be lots of fun.

I'll update post hopefully tomorrow night, when it's first used in anger. Also first time eq5 used, and first time 200p used!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

sorry - missed your post. I was waiting to get a few sessions under my belt and learn it's ins and outs. I still reckon thats ongoing tbh. give it another 3 or 4 sessions.

However headline is so far so good. All works as you'd expect. Only quirk is around having to HOME it each time you turn it off or it gets quirky.

powerwise - standard 12v, standard connector. USB is standard serial, so EQMOD compatible.

I run mine off my own built power pack - you can tweak how much current you let the steppers use, but by default it's 0.8amp per motor. I find it runs fine off my custom job (which would struggle if over about 2.5 amps):

Ha no problem.  Just a small reminder.  But let us read with all the pro’s and con’s please.  Im thinking of buying this for my daughter but also a bit curious for my own use to upgrade an old losmandy/Celestron mount.  

Thanks and good luck with getting to know this device.  

Edited by Robindonne

• 3 weeks later...