NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ufos on lense !

Been seeing  dark shadows  through my  achromat   for a while  and now found  these  strange  things inbetween  the  lenses  along with something that looks a bit like oil blotches (its not!) The little spots are dust inside too. 

Anyone know whats going on please?

Jonathon

20210330_135810.jpg

20210330_135833.jpg

Edited by toofaruphill

The bottom one is almost certainly fungus and the spots might be spores but hard to be sure. Needs a professional clean ASAP before any (more) damage gets done. Assuming you aren't able/willing to tackle it yourself. Probably not what you want to hear, sorry. I've seen it in camera lenses so I'm reasonably sure.

Where has the scope been kept?

Edited by wulfrun
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

The bottom one is almost certainly fungus and the spots might be spores but hard to be sure.

I agree.... and to add the big white dots are indeed spores and actively growing (see the halos around them; the one at top right corner will soon look like the other two branched ones) (I am a biologist by profession).

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, toofaruphill said:

Various places in 12 years I ve had it    all but one dry except a garage. Nothing out of the ordinary I should think. 

Just bad luck then. Damp at some point then kept in the dark (caps on will do) perhaps.

I've cleaned fungus off camera lens elements where it's etched the coatings, so it needs attention pronto if it's not too late already. The lenses I found etched did still perform well though (after cleaning), just to throw you some comfort.

Edited by wulfrun
added info
  • Sad 1

I have cleaned the lenses but cant  seperate them which is where the problem is. I think it s just about had it. Bit dissapointing as I can no longer just replace it . I thought modern coatings would be better, after all  they all dew up. Skywatcher perhaps..

Not a job for the faint-hearted to DIY it and you need the proper tools and experience. A professional repair may or may not be justifiable and may or may not be possible, depends what it's worth to you too. Decisions, decisions!

To be fair, it's not really the fault of the coatings, it's the environmental factors and (lack of?) sealing.

• Sad 1

Thank you everyone. I have an 8 inch newt and have started already making a fork to go ontop of a big tripod  and just spent out on  6 eyepieces! Unfortunately I just bought a replacment focuser from FLO  so it will be worthwhile buying another similar telescope one day  just to fit it!