NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AZ-GTi - secure dovetail for use with EQ wedge.

StevieDvd

I need to ensure that the dovetail fit to the bottom of the AZ-GTi to allow me to use the WO wedge is secure enough for my paranoia.

Would like to avoid using 3/8-1/4 adapters and make use of the already present dimples (not sure the correct name) that stop the dovetail moving when bolted in place. The dovetail that comes with the Skywatcher wedge has this covered to some extent and uses the dimple method.

Before I go down the road of drilling a small hole (for a secondary bolt) in the AZ-GTi base, has anyone found a better connection method or dovetail that can be bought in UK that does a good job?

Something like below (this one is for a photo tripod though)

Dovetail_example.png.82f47fa62c9a97f98119528d2f6bfdd9.png

Thanks

Steve

On 30/03/2021 at 13:58, StevieDvd said:

I need to ensure that the dovetail fit to the bottom of the AZ-GTi to allow me to use the WO wedge is secure enough for my paranoia.

Would like to avoid using 3/8-1/4 adapters and make use of the already present dimples (not sure the correct name) that stop the dovetail moving when bolted in place. The dovetail that comes with the Skywatcher wedge has this covered to some extent and uses the dimple method.

Before I go down the road of drilling a small hole (for a secondary bolt) in the AZ-GTi base, has anyone found a better connection method or dovetail that can be bought in UK that does a good job?

Something like below (this one is for a photo tripod though)

Dovetail_example.png.82f47fa62c9a97f98119528d2f6bfdd9.png

Thanks

Steve

The dovetail that came with my Skywatcher Wedge is smooth (the same as shown in the pictures on the FLO website. The single bolt fastens securely into the AZ GTI, and the dovetail has a small 'catch pin' that stops it sliding all the way through the saddle. There's absolutely no movement in mine and it feels very secure.

• Like 1

Thanks @Shimrod & @knobby,

So the Skywatcher one uses a bolt for preventing the dovetail slipping, which also lines up with the dimple. The William Optic one does not come with a dovetail and have not seen the Skywatcher ones for sale on their own.

Steve

On 03/04/2021 at 18:32, StevieDvd said:

Thanks @Shimrod & @knobby,

So the Skywatcher one uses a bolt for preventing the dovetail slipping, which also lines up with the dimple. The William Optic one does not come with a dovetail and have not seen the Skywatcher ones for sale on their own.

Steve

I've just checked my mount - I bought one of the Astro Essentials dovetails from the FLO - the 18cm version and it has the same 'catch pin' on the dovetail although it is not shown in the images. I use it on the AZ GTI to hold my camera and lens. The lens is firmly bolted onto the dovetail.

dovetail

Edited by Shimrod