NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone using MGEN 11 stand alone guider?

Not sure have posted under the right topic?

I've been using the MGEN 11 stand alone guider to great effect for a number of years and now want to buy a spare.  The  MGEN 111 is the new model but a friend has recently upgraded from the 11 and is not impressed as yet by the 111.  I assume the 11 is not going to be available to buy new for much longer so wondered if anyone used the 111?

I have recently bought the MGEN III, but I'd not previously used guiding so I'm not in a position to judge how good it is. However, for the few times I've used it I have been quite happy. What is it that makes your friend think it is not as good as v.II ? I'd be surprised if the earlier version is still available.

Ian

Tring Astronomy still have the MGEN 11 for sale but no doubt not for much longer.  The friend I have is a very experienced astronomer/imager and he says he just can't get consistent results from it.  He does use long focal lengths , much longer than my 530mm though am not sure this is relevant.  I think I'll try and press him for a few more details.

Thanks for the response Ian - much appreciated.

Annie

2 hours ago, oldannie said:

much longer than my 530mm though

Yes, I image at ~ 560mm, and there's no doubt that the longer the FL the more difficult things become. I use it with a 50mm, 200mm fl guide scope and so far have just used the 'one push' mode! The new model uses a later camera and can (or supposedly, will) be able to be controlled by software using ASCOM, allowing it to provide dithering with an astro camera. It can be remotely controlled as well as working in stand-alone mode.

What's not to like, apart from the price :wink2:.

Ian

2 hours ago, oldannie said:

Tring Astronomy still have the MGEN 11 for sale but no doubt not for much longer.  The friend I have is a very experienced astronomer/imager and he says he just can't get consistent results from it.  He does use long focal lengths , much longer than my 530mm though am not sure this is relevant.  I think I'll try and press him for a few more details.

Thanks for the response Ian - much appreciated.

Annie

Are you after a spare MGEN II, if so what sort of price have you been offered a new one for?

I have an unused one I'd forgotten about (bought in 2016) - I updated the firmware to make sure it powered up. Not tried the camera as it has what looks like a protective cover over the sensor which I'm not sure should be removed (it has a little tab) or kept on. Does yours have a small plastic cover over the sensor with a little tab? Once I work out that question it will be put up on the for sale section here.

Steve

Steve - in the manual that came with my MGEN  it says " on the CCD there is the protector film by default.  You must remove it before the first use!"

Tring Astronomy have the MGEN 2 for sale at just over £560 I think.

I haven't yet decided whether to go for another 11 or the new 111.

Cheers

Annie

1 minute ago, oldannie said:

Steve - in the manual that came with my MGEN  it says " on the CCD there is the protector film by default.  You must remove it before the first use!"

Tring Astronomy have the MGEN 2 for sale at just over £560 I think.

I haven't yet decided whether to go for another 11 or the new 111.

Cheers

Annie

Thanks for that I'll put it up on the for sale section then. I guess I'd better remove the cover and check the camera first though. I'll update this thread when it's listed in case you are interested as a backup.

Steve

• Like 1