Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Few things I need some help with

So, I have a few general questions. Im not sure if there's a specific forum. Sooo.

I'm having tons of problems polar aligning my scope. It's an orion 130 st with the eq1 mount. No motor. 

I can only view the moon, 7 sisters, m42, sirius. It's getting really bored with these objects. And, there disappearing everyday. 

Ap is not as easy as youtube made it to be. I'm using sequator, and gimp. I'm doing all this on my own. No real help for any of it local. Like, I'm learning/ teaching myself computers, photography, astro photos, editing, and telescopes. I'm running some star apps, but it's not really helping. 

So, here's some pics. 

Moon was 2x barlow and 9mm expanse with my cell phone. So, don't beat me up on focus. The moon as it appears in the sky was a 2x lens in a t ring adapter with my camera. 

Camera is a canon 450d. Lense is some kit lens, but mainly a 75-300mm set at 300. 

20210321_005603.jpg

orion 3 20 21 1 maybe-1.png

20210320_212319.jpg

I’m no Astro photographer but it looks to me that you’re trying to run before you can walk. There is no point in trying meaningful AP until you learn the basics like how to polar align which will never be good with an EQ1, a very basic mount with which you cannot expect to get good results.

If I was you, I would forget about Astro photography for now and just concentrate on using your mount to find objects and observe the sky. Just observing is the most relaxing (and you don’t sound relaxed) satisfying and wonderous thing there is, you will learn the sky and how to use your mount and telescope without even realizing it. Only then will you be ready to take on photography. I suspect there are very few members on here who’s first look at the sky was through a camera.

Edited by Jiggy 67
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I’m no Astro photographer but it looks to me that you’re trying to run before you can walk. There is no point in trying meaningful AP until you learn the basics like how to polar align which will never be good with an EQ1, a very basic mount with which you cannot expect to get good results.

If I was you, I would forget about Astro photography for now and just concentrate on using your mount to find objects and observe the sky. Just observing is the most relaxing (and you don’t sound relaxed) satisfying and wonderous thing there is, you will learn the sky and how to use your mount and telescope without even realizing it. Only then will you be ready to take on photography. I suspect there are very few members on here who’s first look at the sky was through a camera.

Good thing I'm not putting my camera on the mount. Why do people keep thinking that?

• Like 1

On 21/03/2021 at 23:35, Trucker360 said:

I'm not putting my camera on the mount. Why do people keep thinking that?

Because in order to capture images like the ones you posted, you need a camera but that could a DSLR, a smartphone or a digital eyepiece. They are all cameras.

I would echo Jiggy 67's advice to develop your skills with visual astronomy.  You won't be able to share photos with others but finding and looking at the Trapezium or Almach knocks me for six and is far more impressive than any photograph can attempt to replicate.