NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another USB extender question...

Hi,

After a bit of a break from observing, I've finally got my HEQ5 setup outside permanently with the intention of doing most of my observing remotely using APT linked via ASCOM/Synscan App and my DSLR on either of my scopes. At the moment I am doing images without a guidescope (although I may add one later) and my whole rig is supplied by a powerbank so the only cable I'm using atm is USB. Ultimately, I want to move myself and the laptop indoors which will mean all I need is a 15m USB extender. My question is:

Does anyone have a recommendation of one this long; or

If I go down the USB/Ethernet route do I just need 2 USB ethernet adapters and a CAT6 cable (which will give me the flexibility to add an extra USB for the guider at some point?

Obviously the cost about doubles with ethernet so I'd like to avoid if possible.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I've looked through older threads and it seems opinion may be divided and I couldnt find an example of a good usb extender for 15m.

Thanks in anticipation.

Daz

I can help - ish...... I currently have a 10M powered startech usb3 lead and a powered startech four port usb3 hub. This is where the ish comes in; I have got as far as trying it with backyardeos and it works a treat, I havent got as far as trying it with ascom stuff yet. I am still working my way through the 2.5hour backyardeos intro but ultimately the plan is to move to ascom in line with backyardeos on a focuser. The next aim is to achieve exactly the same as you. Looking at the startech cable info, you can put upto three powered usb leads in series so you "should" be able to achieve your 15M with two 10M leads.....allegedly. Hope it helps.

• Like 1

Strongly recommend this.  (USB over cat 5/6 , up to 50m)

Its what I use and it works flawlessly.

Daisy chaining USB just gives more places for things to go wrong (damp in connections) and for accidental disconnections as USB does not latch together.

Available Amazon but got mine 2nd hand , they pop up now and then.

StarTech.com 4-Port USB 2.0 Extender - 165ft USB Over: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Image3 mini.jpg

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

Strongly recommend this.  (USB over cat 5/6 , up to 50m)

Its what I use and it works flawlessly.

Daisy chaining USB just gives more places for things to go wrong (damp in connections) and for accidental disconnections as USB does not latch together.

Available Amazon but got mine 2nd hand , they pop up now and then.

StarTech.com 4-Port USB 2.0 Extender - 165ft USB Over: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Image3 mini.jpg

Just checking - this solution is bidirectional? So camera commands and image receive will work?

Yes fully 2 way

I use this to remote control my mount , my guide camera and my main camera from the end of the Cat5 cable.

Nice and comfortable away in the warm out of the damp and cold.

At the remote control position I can see the guide camera output in PHD2 guiding software from the guider on the mount and the main camera exposures download to my remote SSD hard drive. 

I use APT to control the main camera remotely setting ISO exposure time , and run sequences etc. As soon as each sub exposure completes the image downloads to display on APT and saves to the folder on my SSD hard drive. Takes only a few seconds to download my 18 Megapixel frames.

I can select targets, slew to them, plate-solve and begin imaging without setting foot up the garden to my ROR observatory.

(I do have to go up to open the roof and power it all on, have not got that under remote control yet 😎)

Edited by fifeskies
  • Thanks 1

I have used an active 15m USB3 cable which has been fine for me (so far). This is connected to a 12V powered USB hub which is linked to camera, guide camera, filter wheel, focuser, mount, manual scope controller and polar scope. I have a short length of extension at each end so if I damage the connectors I only need to replace a cheap extension. I have also taped all the joints and active points to make then more or less water tight. All the power for everything comes from a 12v power hub so I only have 1 data cable and 1 power cable going to the rig. In terms of reliability it has been great. I did have some early comms issues but I discovered that this was caused by a poor connection to the polar scope which kept on dropping and reconnecting which had a knock on effect on the guiding.

Ideally I would like to make it all wireless, but for now it works fine. I regularly go to bed and leave everything outside without issue. Ice and dew have not caused a problem - but there is always a first time!

• Thanks 1