NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoculars for stargazing

Hi,I am just a about  to purchase a pair of bins ,for a spot of stargazing, I have an old Tesco telescope from years ago,...not really up to the job....So ive checked around  and it seems that 10x50,looks to be the best option for a starter pair.Olympus look ok?...Then I came across a pair of Celestron 17x50..but then I will need a tripod to keep things steady.So really unsure,Can anybody help please......Alan

Hi Alan, welcome to SGL. 

I got the Olympus DPS1 10x50 to start out and found them to be very good for the money. After a while I got the Celestron 15x70 but still use the 10x50 more often.

Although you should be able to hand hold the 10x50 I would advise looking at a monopod and pistol grip head to steady things a bit. It does help.

If you go to www.binocularsky.com there's a load of really useful info for starting out with binoculars.

Andy

I've owned for a year the Olympus DPS I 10x50s and I'm happy with them. Amazon drop the price occasionally and I was lucky.

Around the same time, my dad was bought the 8x42 version. Although they're lighter and easier to keep steady, they don't resolve quite as much under light polluted skies and there is some slight colour fringing around the moon.

Theres two or three brands around the same price as the Olympus that are recommended.  Check out the site Vader linked and the forum binocular section.

7x50, 8x42 and 10x50 are the most common for binocular stargazing. They can double up as general purpose/nature bins.

The Olympus DPS I is very good value for money. The only downside is probably the lack of weather sealing. Personally I love my Vixen Ascot 8x42. It's very comfortable in the hands and offers a beautiful 8.2 degree wide fov.