SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any suggestions for newcomer to EEVA and for targets tonight?

tooth_dr

I've a setup that I want to try out for EEVA this evening.  I'm not at all familiar with EEVA and live stacking, but would be quite comfortable with a scope and camera.  The equipment is a 14" F/8 SCT, with an 0.67x reducer, and a 2600MC camera.  I was planning of using Sharpcap and binning 2x2.  Any suggestions for settings, and also for 2 or 3 easy and bright targets to see how I get on?

Many thanks

Adm.

When I'm planning EEVA sessions I often use https://tonightssky.com/MainPage.php

Once you have put in your parameters, you can select e.g. if you want to look at galaxies, nebula, or clusters. After you click whats in sky tonight, at the bottom of the generated list, you can sort by RA rise time and generate an observing plan.

I often find I spend the night doing EEVA galaxy marathon sessions this way going through the list one by one. I'll spend 5 to 10 minutes on each target and record the image at the end and take some notes in my book showing a log of date and time and what was observed.

• Like 1

Here are some that are well-placed and good in colour as well as being bright

galaxies

M106 in CVN (lovely in colour)

NGC 3718 in UMA (lots going on in this field)

NGC 3726 in UMA (face on spiral)

NGC 4217 in CVN (galaxy in excellent star field)

planetary nebulae

M97 in UMA (see if you can get Hickson 50 in the shot as it contains a mag 20 galaxy that is useful for checking your reach!)

NGC 1501 cam (ring with structure)

NGC 2392 gem (beautiful colour contrast in the nebula)

NGC 2371 gem (interesting structure/colour with faint outer parts)

cheers

Martin

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, festoon said:

When I'm planning EEVA sessions I often use https://tonightssky.com/MainPage.php

Once you have put in your parameters, you can select e.g. if you want to look at galaxies, nebula, or clusters. After you click whats in sky tonight, at the bottom of the generated list, you can sort by RA rise time and generate an observing plan.

I often find I spend the night doing EEVA galaxy marathon sessions this way going through the list one by one. I'll spend 5 to 10 minutes on each target and record the image at the end and take some notes in my book showing a log of date and time and what was observed.

Thanks for that!  What a brilliant resource.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Martin Meredith said:

Here are some that are well-placed and good in colour as well as being bright

galaxies

M106 in CVN (lovely in colour)

NGC 3718 in UMA (lots going on in this field)

NGC 3726 in UMA (face on spiral)

NGC 4217 in CVN (galaxy in excellent star field)

planetary nebulae

M97 in UMA (see if you can get Hickson 50 in the shot as it contains a mag 20 galaxy that is useful for checking your reach!)

NGC 1501 cam (ring with structure)

NGC 2392 gem (beautiful colour contrast in the nebula)

NGC 2371 gem (interesting structure/colour with faint outer parts)

cheers

Martin

Thanks Martin, really appreciate that, looks like a fabulous list.