NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 3184 The Little Pinwheel Galaxy

tomato

This is just over 8 hrs of data on NGC 3184, the Little Pinwheel Galaxy in Ursa Major, captured over the previous two nights with the dual Esprit 150/ASI 178 set up. The subs were superior on the first night but 4 hrs was not enough data, adding the inferior data from last night has improved the final result. Again, a host of more distant galaxies are present in the image, I have run it through PI Imagesolver and annotation scripts, but most are not identified.

L 80 x 3 mins

RGB 26 x 3 mins each channel.

Calibrated and stacked in APP, processed in APP and AP.

Thanks for looking.

combine-RGB-image-mod-lpc-cbg-StAPv2.thumb.jpg.1967653dce242a05bc812e565311513d.jpg

combine_RGB_image_mod_lpc_cbg_StAPv2_Annotated.thumb.jpg.fa825ab895332a4fb97896fdb604a7ae.jpg

• Like 20

Posted 20 hours ago and not a single comment!  What is the world coming to..  A beautiful job and difficult to appreciate that this is 40 million light years away.  Very nicely processed.  

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Posted 20 hours ago and not a single comment!  What is the world coming to..  A beautiful job and difficult to appreciate that this is 40 million light years away.  Very nicely processed.  

Thanks Martin, the background is a little messy due to a humungous dust bunny on the Lum camera. It was clearly evident on the flats but was not fully calibrated out by APP for some reason.  I am finally beginning to realise that data is king, I thought my large aperture dual rig could cut some corners, but on these kind of targets I need to be in double figures on the integration hours.

I was looking at/enthusing over this beautiful galaxy last week in EEVA mode and it is great to see what it actually looks like! Apart from the core, I found it a challenging object and I think its family resemblance in your excellent image to the likes of M101 or M61 might give the impression that it is quite a bright galaxy, whereas the spiral arms are actually quite faint.

Martin

• Thanks 1