Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrading Binoculars

What upgrades and changes have you made to make binocular observing more enjoyable?

I have been making some variable star estimates using my APM 100mm binoculars - the old black model.  They live a top a Manfrotto 161 Mk2b . The tripod is so robust but rather heavy so thank goodness they live in the obsy alongside the second hand C11. 

I have put together some upgrades including homemade hinged dust covers, longer dew shields and a tripod tray.  These, with the rather spiffing 13mm Naglers provides 1.7deg field of view down to mid-11th magnitude (from reasonable village skies) greatly helped by a binobandit and red dot finder.

A short video is below.

• Like 3

Well mounted angled bins are a must. I’ve had to add dew heaters to the objectives. I also made a laser holder, but now mainly just rest the laser in the groove on the handle (so I can keep it warm in my pocket). I’ve made winged eyecups for all my bins/eyepieces out of bike inner tube... straylight reduction is important. 
I have the blackrapid tripod jacket on my old horizon8115 tripod (designed for tripods without a spreader, works with others just fine), it’s got huge pockets for storing eyepieces and all sorts in. I don’t currently use it for binoculars, as I normally use a lighter manfrotto tripod for them. 

Peter

Edited by PeterW
Addition