Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can you recommend a good 12.5mm (or thereabouts) eyepiece?

4 hours ago, Louis D said:

The 14mm is very nice in the central 85%.  The outer 15% tends to fall off in sharpness slightly due to astigmatism and field curvature

Agreed, I found the same when I had one... the 17.5mm doesn’t have the field curvature at all. To be fair the Pentax XW 14mm does also suffer in the same way. It very well maybe scope dependant though... longer focal lengths may be better 🤔

53 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Agreed, I found the same when I had one... the 17.5mm doesn’t have the field curvature at all. To be fair the Pentax XW 14mm does also suffer in the same way. It very well maybe scope dependant though... longer focal lengths may be better 🤔

My old 14mm Pentax XL has worse field curvature than the 14mm Morpheus, and a narrower field to boot.  However, it is pin sharp and astigmatism free to the field stop once refocused.  The wider field and lesser field curvature of the Morpheus ousted my venerable XL from the spot it had held in my A-team case for 15+ years.  I decided I could live with the edge astigmatism since it was in a part of the field that doesn't even exist in the XL.  In all other ways, the two eyepieces were basically equivalent.

• Like 1