Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Replacing Vixen GP DX polar scope with Skywatcher HM5 Polar Alignment Scope

Dougie Smart

Hi All,

I was wondering if its possible to replace my current Vixen GP DX mount polar scope with a Skywatcher HM5 Polar Alignment Scope?

A few weeks ago, I managed to successfully fit a Skywatcher duel axis drive to my manual Vixen mount thanks to the splendid advice on this forum.

With reference to the attached, it shows the current view through my Vixen mount polar scope, but is slightly confusing to operate (even though I have the manual for it) and is around 20 years old, and so there has probably been some polar variance since then and is probably not very accurate. Also as the Skywatcher has a ring (rather than a line) to fine tune polar alignment which should be easier to align as I can't move the RA 360 degrees due to the previously mentioned new motor that I fitted.

I hope someone can advise, but I can provided additional information of my predicament if required.

All the best,

Dougie

Vixen polar scope view.JPG

I replaced my Vixen's Super Polaris polar scope with one of those, and it works great. 

the thread is similar, although in my case it doesn't screw all the way in. 

I did order EQ5/6 version, maybe for my mount EQ3 would fit better, but it works :)

So it should work for your GP too 

Regards 

Thanks for your reply and advice Neko.

In order to remove the Vixen polar scope, would I be correct that the grub screws need to be loosened first, then the polar scope unscrewed?

I am waiting for an Allan key (wrench key) to be delivered so that I can remove the scope from my mount.

I hope you can further advise.

Thanks agian,

Dougie

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dougie Smart said:

In order to remove the Vixen polar scope, would I be correct that the grub screws need to be loosened first, then the polar scope unscrewed?

I am waiting for an Allan key (wrench key) to be delivered so that I can remove the scope from my mount.

Thanks agian,

Dougie

ummm, maybe I missunderstood. You want to change only the reticle? 

I've changed the whole thing for one of this 

hhttps://www.alphacygni.com/buscador-de-la-polar-y-accesorios/1506-buscador-de-la-polar-sky-watcher-eq-5-eq-6.html

What I did was just unscrew the whole thing out, and put this one. You don't need allen key for this. Just grab it firmly with your hand and unscrew it. or at least I didnt need to unscrew anything, And I took the mount a part few times...

That's all. I had to collimate mine. So probably you'll have to do it too. 

22 minutes ago, Froeng said:

Hi Dougie,

i have used the below in my 30+ years old SP-DX and it works perfectly.

https://astrogarten-shop.de/en/accessories/mounts-tripods/optional-parts-accessories/vixen-polar-axis-plate-year-2005-2025.html?language=en

Frank

That's way to expensive... 

https://teleskop-austria.at/polarHMRet#m   this would work and is more intuitive 

@Dougie Smart if you wan to change only the glass reticle, then this one would do. If all the rest is OK :)

Edited by Neko

Thanks for your help guys.

Thanks agian,

Dougie

Thanks for your reply guys, its very helpful.

I have since purchased a Skywatcher polar scope (EQ5 version) for my Vixen mount, but will return it if it does not work and purchase the updated reticle as advised.

If it works (and I remember) I will let you all know if it fits or not.

Thanks again,

Dougie 

• Like 1

I think it will work fine. As far as I know the htread is the same for the vixen mounts, as the EQ3 , 5 and are clones of the vixens. 

Hope all goes well ^^ 

Carles.  

21 hours ago, Dougie Smart said:

Hi All, just to let you aknow that the  polar scope for the Skywatcher EQ5 fits my Vixen GP DX EQ mount perfectly 👌.

Thanks again for your help guys. 

Glad to hear that! :D  enjoy!