Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with Nikon 5600D pics

GrampyG

I think I am drastically missing something stupid (don't answer that)

I have a Canon 600D (Baader modded) and recently a Nikon D5600 (modded)

Due to the mod the pics are sort of a magenta colour with the Nikon. Not so with the Canon. I must admit that I do find it difficult to process the Nikons to get the result I want. I've read somewhere that this is reduced by setting a custom white balance and not using auto. So this afternoon I set the white balance to custom using a piece of white paper in sunlight. This appeared white just photographing white paper and not the magenta colour prior to taking the colour balance off auto.  

Tonight I took 4 min subs using the camera via my ASIair Pro. They looked absolutely great on the Tablet - lots of detail. That's where it ends.

Photos look blue and VERY light. They do not process at all properly in DSS followed by photoshop, nor do the FITS.  My gut feeling is that I should have used an 18% grey card in sunlight, and not the white paper. Or is there something else I should be looking at? No problems at all with the 600D: never have been

Apologies if you fall over laughing but any advice would be most gratefully received.

Thank you

G

As you've mentioned twice that the Canon camera doesn't have any problems would I be right in thinking the Canon has a Baader filter fitted ? If so, that would explain that.

Why you're having trouble with your custom white balance I don't know. In the past I've used both a white card and a grey card but I think I set the exposure compensation to +2 when using the white card even though I don't know if that's strictly necessary. You are after all measuring the card temperature not the exposure.

To see if the custom balance is working ok it may be an idea to try a few shots in jpeg and see if they are balanced ok. This can be done during the day and if they look very light then you've over exposed them. 

Try not to process in DSS as it was never designed to do that. Also ensure the processing app you're using actually uses the new preset.

There are dozens of people using modified cameras and hopefully one of them can give you some better direction.

Dave.

Hi Dave

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the Canon does have the Baader fitted hence no 'colouration' problem.

The Nikon was modded by JTW in the Netherlands; standard filter removal mod.

I've reset the Nikon to auto WB as it was originally. I'm going out tonight to give it a try but I will try the grey card (can't find mine so another should arrive tomorrow). I'll also try the + 2 stops simply to find out what is best. I thought that I was measuring the card temperature but something must have been adrift somewhere. Interestingly the results as they built up on the tablet using ASIair Pro looked really good; lots of detail on the 4 min exposures - shame though

Anyway I'll see what happens tonight using the same gear Explore triplet 127

Thank you Dave

G