Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spare Parts for EQ5 Mount, where?

wobbly

Bought a used EQ5 Mount, 2001 Vintage but hardly been used and the Declination barrel had very firmly seized, when I stripped Mount down not surprised as all grease was part set like Araldite!

Had to use heat to free the Declination barrel and there is a large diameter nylon O Ring which sits at the base, acts like a 'bearing', require a new one

All now working 100% and reassembled but require this new O Ring just for piece of mind

Anyone know of any company who can supply parts please? (a workshop manual type document will also be handy)

I am a beginner to astronomy (around 10 days :( ) and STILL waiting for my first clear night, in meantime stripping down the EQ5 and rebuilding it taught me a lot about EQ Mounts as didnt even know how to use both the ones I have when I bought them in past 10 days (one new, one used)

I'm pretty sure they are the same mount, as is the Vixen GP. I think you might be able to get the spares from Celestron USA, don't quote me though. Is it one of those flat round (annular) type rings made from teflon maybe? I have some in my old super polaris, they are about 1mm thick.

As for the manual, try google'ing vixen gp manual. That should help you out.

Wobbly,

If its what I'm thinking of, I think I have one!!

What thickness is it?

Its approx 0.5mm thick, 5mm wide and around 75mm diameter, plastic/nylon

Many thanks to all the posters for the info, much appreciated, cheers :thumbright:

Wobbly,

What thickness is it?

Many thanks to all the posters for the info, much appreciated, cheers :thumbright:

You can get replacement bearing kits from here http://lxd55.com/order/bearings/ but at 85 bucks it ain't cheap and you won't need most of them. You can make them out of teflon sheet or, if you're really cheap, a plastic milk carton is ideal. The idea behind these 'bearings' (presumably the one under the worm wheel) is to ensure that the worm wheel teeth and worm line up, so it's more of a spacer.

Wobbly,

What thickness is it?

You can get replacement bearing kits from here http://lxd55.com/order/bearings/ but at 85 bucks it ain't cheap and you won't need most of them. You can make them out of teflon sheet or, if you're really cheap, a plastic milk carton is ideal. The idea behind these 'bearings' (presumably the one under the worm wheel) is to ensure that the worm wheel teeth and worm line up, so it's more of a spacer.

Many thanks, at £80 for a set will take your advice and make my own, it is 'the spacer which sits under the worm wheel' as you describe it, why didnt I think of describing it like that :(

• 9 years later...

I don't want to create another thread of my question, but am having similar trouble on one spare part of EQ5 GOTO upgrade. Hope you guys do not mind.

Just few days ago, I upgraded my EQ5 with its GOTO upgrade. However, with this stupid vendor's mistake, he broke its protective case of RA motor (attached), then got a new one. However, when I received it, what made me crazy is the 3 missing screws to lock it. How can I combine the case without the 3 screws!!! Though I've blamed the vendor of this, I don't think he is going to find the 3 screws any sooner since this upgrade kit seems to be quite old and Skywatcher's whereabouts is unknown and hard to contact.

Can any one of you guys who is having this EQ5 upgrade kit help me with the sizes of the screws, including head and screw diameters, and its length?

I appreciate your help.

images.jpeg

Archived