Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY motor focuser.

banjaxed

I am not very keen on motor focusers that are not able to operate manually so I came up with an idea using a timing belt that could simply be slipped off to allow manual use. One for my Dob and one for my ST120.

FE0F9C0B-94AA-46C5-80DC-5B6BA637597A.jpeg

65A493BA-9F86-42CC-A1E7-5CB9980D3044.jpeg

Edited by banjaxed
  • Like 7

• banjaxed changed the title to DIY motor focuser. Please move to DIY Astronomy.
  • banjaxed changed the title to DIY motor focuser.
  • 4 weeks later...

Regarding slipping timing belts off for manual:
I find that most focuser knobs slip smoothly within the toothed belt for manual override.
But work just as well with a motor/belt tension adjusted for reliable driving of the standard knob.
This is probably due to the timing belt teeth having completely the wrong pitch or tooth shape for the knob.
There is easily enough friction for a motor drive but this is effortlessly overcome by the Mk1.5a digits.

• Like 1

May I ask what are you using to control forward and reverse of the motor? Do you have a variable switch (for variable speed)? Make you own, or find something on Amazon as well?
Curious to give it a try myself.

15 hours ago, RAR_MI_USA said:

May I ask what are you using to control forward and reverse of the motor? Do you have a variable switch (for variable speed)? Make you own, or find something on Amazon as well?
Curious to give it a try myself.

Hi, If you PM me with your email address I wish send you a link for the the parts.